April 15, 2011

Airbrush Gets A Classy Makeover




I was recently presented with the opportunity to buy a Temptu AIRbrush Makeup System from Sephora at 40% off. At first, I thought: “No, I don’t need an airbrush. I am totally 100% fine without one.” But I’ve been sooo curious about airbrush makeup, and I have a blog to write, so about 3 minutes later I made my purchase online. The system came with two pods of foundation in my choice of color, which was easy to choose from the options they had. (I am almost always the lightest shade, or second lightest, skewed toward yellow.)

 The first time I tried it, I wore a robe and my microfiber headband, because I wasn’t really sure what I was in for. The spray is actually very targeted, so I didn’t have to worry. You hold the airbrush a few inches from your face and make little circles working from the outside in. It comes with an instructional video, but it’s really pretty simple to figure out. You can adjust the pressure using the trigger on the airbrush and the knob on the compressor. The compressor makes noise, but it’s not too loud. I think it’s quieter than my hair dryer.


I applied it over my entire face, including my eyelids and under my eyes. The eyelids worked fine, but in order to get enough coverage for my dark circles, I had to apply a lot and it was starting to get weird. I think I’ll stick with Touche Éclat for my circles. The makeup worked well for covering discolorations and the occasional zit, but for something major, I’d use concealer first and then spray a layer of foundation on top. One of the really great things about using an airbrush is you don’t have to worry about rubbing the concealer off while you’re applying your foundation or blush.

All the makeup for this system comes in little pods that you pop in and out of the airbrush. It’s quick, easy, and clean. The makeup itself is oil-free, hypoallergenic, “water-resistant, sweat-proof, splash-proof, and super long wearing.” I think splash-proof might be the same thing as water-resistant, but who knows. I guess it’s good that you’re covered even if you get splashed with something that’s NOT water. It looks natural, feels lightweight and stays put. What more could you want? Portability? Oh, sorry.

I was so happy with the results of the foundation, I wanted to try a blush too. This time I went into Sephora so I could see the colors in person and try them on. A sales associate helped me choose a shade and then applied it to my face with the in-store airbrush system. I went with Sheer Berry, which looks exactly like it sounds, except even prettier. I might spring for the bronzer next, especially since Sephora is offering 15% off for Beauty Insiders for the upcoming week. (Use code: CHIC.)

Overall, I think this airbrush thing is 100% awesome. The color I chose was a perfect match, and it is really fast and easy to apply. The results look so natural and pretty that I don’t want to take it off at the end of the day. It’s not exactly portable, though they DO offer a special carrying case if you want to be someone who travels with their airbrush. (And I might be.) For me there is the small problem of storage. It’s not very large, around 4"x5"x3", but it still needs a place to live, so I’m working that out. At least it’s smaller than another new pair of shoes?

No comments:

Post a Comment