April 19, 2011

Shake Your Booties



This isn’t a fashion blog, but it is a useful-stuff-that-I-really-like blog, and sometimes that’s gonna get a little fashiony. Since it’s rainy/raining AGAIN, it’s the perfect time to tell you about my new rain boots! They make rainy days suck a little bit less.

These are not the ubiquitous rubber galoshes, but little rain booties. I used to have a pair of wellies, classic black knee-high Hunter boots, and I barely wore them. Here is the thing about galoshes: They are kind of hard to get around in. The ankles don’t bend right, and if you get the high ones, they whack you on the back of the knee even if you have long legs. Yes, they will protect you from the deepest puddles and the wildest cats and dogs, but they super-suck for walking down to the subway. I don’t want to worry about falling down the stairs while I’m trying to collapse my umbrella and get into the station without getting too wet or poked in they eye by some jerk’s giant golf umbrella. (THOSE ARE NOT FOR THE CITY!)
Plus, if you have scrawny calves, they make you look like you’re standing in a bucket. Or two buckets. This could be another reason they were uncomfortable for me; I had so much space in there I could probably fit a cheesesteak alongside each leg. (If you could GET a decent cheesesteak in this town.) Even with the fleece liners, the wellies clanged around my legs like silent cowbells, which was *a little* annoying.
However, I really needed something for running around on those truly soaking rainy days, so I didn’t ruin any of my “good” boots. I found these Loeffler Randall Rain Booties at Bloomingdale’s and nabbed them during a friends and family 20% off event. Unfortunately, Bloomie's doesn’t seem to have them anymore (probs cuz they're awesome) but they are available at Zappos.
These booties are not going to protect you all the way to the knee, but for average puddles and rain, they are so great! Unless you look closely, they seem like regular boots, so you don’t look like an ass when the rain disappears and it’s suddenly bright and sunny. They are totally comfortable to walk around in, lace up for a secure fit, and going up and down stairs is probably easier than in regular shoes, thanks to the rubber soles. Some reviews on Zappos said the eyelets/hooks popped off, but I haven’t had that problem. Both stores have great return policies though, so I’m not worried.
Being prepared for foul weather makes so much of a difference, especially for me, because my mood almost always mirrors the current meteorological conditions. I don’t need anything else bringing me down on a rainy day, trust me. For us city-dwellers, protecting yourself against the elements is always worth the investment. For those of you who drive everywhere: Imagine walking four blocks home from the grocery store in a downpour, carrying three bags of groceries, your purse, and an umbrella. Then imagine doing it wearing wet socks.

3 comments:

  1. you know, when i saw you in those the other night i didnt even realize they were rubber! i thought how very "borderline/holiday". totes cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps..i dont know why my name is howard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! That is why they're AWESOME! (And also because they're really comfortable.)

    Howard is fantastic. It makes me think of Howard Cunningham which is hilarious if your imagine your comments in his voice. These Happy Days are your's and mine!

    ReplyDelete