April 18, 2011

Fly Flyaway


Despite my extremely awesome flat iron, one thing that still plagues me is flyaways. I use Goldwell Star Polish, a “shine wax”, which is great for static and dry ends, but I don’t like putting too much of it near my roots, because it’s a little greasy. (Same thing with my Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, and many of the other frizz-taming products I've tried.) Plus, the crazy hairs along my part are extremely obstinate and the Star Polish just doesn’t have the muscle to make them submit.

I’d heard about spraying a spoolie brush (like for mascara) with hairspray, and using it to comb down wild hairs. I tried it a few times, and it worked a little, but not really. Plus, the little spoolie had a tendency to vanish right when I needed it— usually just before running out the door. I also tried just spraying my hand, which is always right where I left it, and then smoothing it over my hair. No luck.

John Frieda Full Repair Touch-up Flyaway Tamer  declared itself the solution to my problem. There are before and after photos of someone’s part right on the box. It’s basically a larger sized spoolie brush, immersed it some sort of anti-stray potion. Like a big clear mascara. And I’m not sure why, but the scent reminds me of the 80s.

I was a little worried it would be goopy or greasy, but it’s not. The amount of product on the wand seems to be just right too. I wasn’t timid with it, and I ended up using about 4 dips worth of product to calm my part. At first my hair seemed slightly damp, but not visibly so. When it dried, some of the shorter flyaway’s popped back up, I would say about 70% of stayed down though. I applied another layer. The directions say “Reapply as needed” so I don’t think there is a real risk of greasiness or buildup.

After the second application dried, all but one hair (seriously?) stayed down, but I could feel the product on my hair if I touched it. Not hard or crunchy, but there nonetheless. It would be acceptable, but since I was “testing” it, I decided to comb through to see what happened. What happened was: a couple more hairs popped up, but my hair felt completely natural, so I guess it’s a little bit of a tradeoff. (So is everything.)

I used this immediately after washing, drying, and flat-ironing my hair, so the flyaway’s were in full effect. If my hair had a chance to calm down a bit on it’s own, I probably would have been able to use less. Luckily, I will have plenty of chances to try that because it has instantly become an “essential.” It’s definitely the best thing I’ve found for taming the crazies on my head, if not in it.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, totally going to try this! I was just contemplating the idea of having my hair down in loose curls for my wedding, but the thought of untamable flyaways had me thinking "not so much". This is at least worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely worth a shot! But try it out a few times first, as with anything wedding-related. The other great thing is that it's very portable, so you could stash it in your bag (or your bridesmaid's bag) for touch ups.

    ReplyDelete