April 10, 2011

DIY Minx: Sally Hansen Naaaailed It!


I’ve been searching drugstores for Sally Hansen Salon Effects for a few months now, and I FINALLY found them at Ricky’s! The selection, however, was severely limited. I was sooooo close to buying the hilarious “Denim Jeans” to wear with my jeans, denim shirt, and jean jacket, but I ended up buying glittery “Frock Star” which looks almost exactly like what clowns wear when they go to the disco.

Unlike nail stickers, these are actually (somehow) made of nail polish. In fact, they even smell like nail polish. And to remove them: You guessed it, nail polish remover! That sounds good, but we’ll see how it goes, Sally.

Getting them on was a little trickier than I expected. The box comes with a bunch of different sizes. You choose the one that fits your nail, peel back the clear coating, and then pull off the backing. So you’re holding disembodied nail polish, which is a little weird. Then you apply it to your nail, stretching gently and smoothing, which is not that hard, even if you’re not using your “good” hand. After that, you file off the excess with the tiny nail file included. To me, that was the hardest part. I ripped the polish on the first few nails I did, and also, some other ones. That may be because my nails are short right now, which doesn’t allow much room to maneuver even the tiniest nail file.

They feel like you’re wearing a few extra coats of nail polish. Not bad, just a little thicker than normal. The effects are pretty cool. You would have to apply at least 5 or 6 coats of glitter polish to get it to look like this. Frock Star looks like you painted your nails and then dipped them into glitter (except smooth.) I would definitely buy them again if I saw a style that I liked. There are 24 different kinds, but finding them in stores is a challenge, at least for now, at least near me.


Aside from offering fun patterns and textures, Sally Hansen Salon Effects claim they’ll last for ten days. To really test their durability, I spent today moving everything from my living room and office into my bedroom.* It was eight and a half hours of hard work, including some very clever Tetris-ing, but it was worth it! I hope! My nails look as good as they did when I started, which was, admittedly, less-than-perfect. Still, I was surprised by how well the "polish" held up. Sally Hansen, tough as... something. I forget how that one goes.

UPDATE: These are sooo hard to get off! Nail polish remover took forever so I ended up just peeling and scraping it off my nails. (It didn't damage my nails or anything.) I would still totally buy them again though.

*Also, I needed to do move that stuff so I could get new flooring in those rooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment