April 25, 2011

I Don’t Like Mondays


If you’ve read much of this blog, you might think I always love everything, but that is definitely not true. In fact, it really takes a lot for me like something. That’s probably why I feel the need to share it with the world when I find good stuff. Since it’s Monday, and a good day to be grumbly, here are a few things that I tried and did not like.

Benefit She-Laq
The bottle has a picture of a fortune-teller, and I wish she could have forseen that this stuff was going to waste my time. It is meant to keep your eye makeup in place, but in my experience, applying it messed up my makeup instead. It comes with a bunch of different tools for application, but the product itself is watery and smudged everything. Not what I was going for with my precise eyeliner look. I tried it twice to see if I could get it to work, but after that I got sick of it messing up my makeup, so back it went to Sephora.

Urban Decay 24/7 Eyeliner
I had heard great things about this, but it’s just not doing it for me. I wanted it for my waterline (the inside edge of the eyelid), and it SEEMED like it would be awesome. It’s not. I can’t even get good application to my waterline let alone get it to stay there all day. On your regular eyelid, it works fine. Perhaps a bit soft at first, which is good or bad, depending on the look you’re going for. I actually have two of these, Covet (emerald green) and Zero (black). I am keeping the green one because it’s nice for a colorful smudgey look, but I’m taking the black one back because I already have quite a few black eyeliners that work better. I need a mediocre black eyeliner like I need a hole in the head.

Urban Decay Ink for Eyes
This is probably my biggest disappointment. It seemed soooo awesome! It’s all set up to be perfect to do a cat-eye or a smudgy eyeliner look. It has a double ended brush/blender and a little mirror (though too little to be really useful) all in a sleek case. Cleopatra, who I think we can all agree is the Queen of Eyeliner, would have LOVED this thing! Especially because it doesn’t have any crocodile dung or whatever in it. Always a bonus of living in modern times! The product glides on really easily for a cat eye, and the brush is totally good enough to use. Smudgy eye is great too. The problem is, it just doesn’t stay. When I came home my eyeliner was almost completely gone. NOT okay! A few of the reviews on Sephora say it lasts all day, and I can tell you that those people are full of shit. Maybe they were using an eye primer? Or maybe they didn’t really wait all day before they wrote the review, because it’s pretty easy to love it at first. I don’t know, but I agree with all the other reviews that say it disappears. I don’t have oily skin, and my eye makeup generally stays in place without a problem. But not this time. I really REALLY wanted to love this product, but it’s going to have to go back.

I usually like the products from both Benefit and Urban Decay. I would even say that I love those brands. Unfortunately, these particular things just didn’t work out for me. I’m not saying that they wouldn’t work for you, or that they suck in general, but they are not worth MY dollars or MY space. (Which practically have equal value.) Anyblah, Happy Monday…

3 comments:

  1. I use the She-Laq for my brows only. A little goes a long way and its great if you've got dark brows you want to stay in place. It also keeps the powder or brow pencil from rubbing off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, what do you like better than the 24/7 pencils for lining your waterline? I had them on my list but I'd rather not if they are mediocre.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Buxom's Insider Eyeliner for my waterline, and then I use a flat angled brush to blot over it using Carbon eyeshadow (flat black) from MAC. It works really well!

    I can see She-Laq working for eyebrows, since you're not trying to preserve a really hard line.

    ReplyDelete