April 4, 2011

Shave-a-colada


Sometime last year, I decided to try to reduce the amount of pthalates and parabens in my life. While it’s impossible to cut out all of your exposure— that stuff is in EVERYTHING— you’ve got to try to do what you can. At least, I do. One of the products I switched was my shaving cream. What is generally referred to as “shaving cream” is really a foam, and even the shaving gels are just a quick rub away from being foam. My shaving cream replacement is an actual cream, similar to body lotion, but less oily so it doesn’t jam up your razor. It seems like these are referred to as "Cream Shave" I guess to differentiate them from the creams that are actually foams. Inexplicably, these cream shaves are offered in an array of tropical flavors we would normally encounter in umbrella-drinks.

I’ve been using Alba’s Coconut Milk Moisturizing Cream Shave, from their Hawaiian line, for about a year now. I’ve been really happy with it. It works just as well as the stuff in the can, and it’s more moisturizing. You can easily tell when you’re running out, which is a plus. For travel, it’s easy to squeeze some into a small bottle instead of buying a travel size can of shave gel, which hogs up an awful lot of space in a TSA-approved quart-size bag. The space saving alone is a great reason to try it! It seems more expensive, but a little goes a long way, so not really. I’ve been paying about $6 for a 5oz tube at the health food store, but you can sometimes find it cheaper online.

In Trader Joe’s recently, I saw a much more economical option with no shipping costs: Moisturizing Cream Shave in Honey Mango. The packaging closely (exactly) resembles Alba’s Mango Vanilla Cream Shave, but it costs only $2.99 for 8oz. I don’t use Alba’s Mango Vanilla, because it’s paraben free but not phthalate free. It turns out the TJ’s copycat version is not phthalate free either. That said, my comparison is between my favorite Alba Coconut Milk Cream Shave and the contender from Trader Joe’s.

Both products are 100% vegetarian, cruelty free, and paraben free. The product from Trader Joe’s has a slightly looser consistency, and it seems like you have to use a little bit more to get the same cushioning you would with the Alba. Both products offer a smooth shave and neither will clog your razor.

T.J.’s Honey Mango scent is a little stronger/more perfumey than Alba’s Coconut Milk, but still a vast improvement from those awful fruity smelling shaving gels they make for ladies. I’m not sure who decided women’s legs should smell like “Raspberry Rain”, or why, but: Yuck! While these creams are still fruit-related, they definitely have a more natural feel. Speaking of ladies, both of these products claim to work great for men too. My husband tried mine, but doesn’t remember anything remarkable about it. I think it’s still “for girls” in his mind, which is why he sticks to his Man Products in general.

Ultimately, Trader Joe’s makes a decent shaving cream. If you’re not worried about pthalates, and you like the smell (give it a sneaky sniff in the store to see what you think) it’s a great cheap alternative to whatever you’ve been using. However: If you like pina coladas, and a smooth silky shave, if you’re not much into pthalates, come with Alba and escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment