April 5, 2011

Can’t Wait for Waves


Many people, like me, have excellent self-control, and never buy anything extra when they go to the drugstore. But not me! Very often, I’ll find something new and exciting that I’ve got to try.

One such buy was Sally Hershberger Wave Spray. Last summer I got a keratin treatment that, combined with my excellent flat iron, allowed me to wear my hair smooth and straight for most of the summer. This summer I think I want to have a little bit of a softer look, and work with the natural texture in my hair. I want it to look and, more importantly, BE effortless. Since I CANNOT WAIT until summer, I was easily sold when I saw the Wave Spray, which they claim “creates tousled sexy curves.” Sally Hershberger has a whole line of products now available at Duane Reade, sporting somewhat ill-advised packaging design. But I looked past the seafoam green plastic bottle and saw only the promise of easy summer hair.

 The directions say to spray it on damp hair then use your fingertips to pull through or use a comb. I used my fingers, assuming that option would give the most wave. Then I just let it air dry. I guess you could maybe blow dry with a diffuser and scrunch? I think you could safely do that without ending up in the 80s. It doesn’t make your hair hard or crunchy at all, and it has a really nice scent.

I would say it increased my natural wave by 25%, but as for shine, it did a whole lot of nothing. You’ll probably have to add something else. (I tried Brilliant Brunette Satin Shine, because that’s what I have, but it didn’t help much.) If you don’t have any natural texture, I doubt this is going to work any miracles for you. This would be best for someone who has a little bit of wave or curl, and also has their hair cut in a way to maximize it. Right now, I have really long layers since I always wear my hair straight. As summer approaches, I might get my stylist to lighten it up a bit, which should bring out more waves. (As will the inevitable humidity.) Whether or not this product becomes a summer staple, I don’t know. But one thing I know for sure: I’m ready to wave GOODBYE to winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment