April 6, 2011

Sunblocky When Wet


As I mentioned yesterday, I am just dying for summer to get here. I mean, I love spring and all, and if spring wanted to go ahead and be springy one day soon, that would be awesome. But it seems like what spring really loves to do is toy with our emotions by being warm/freezing sunny/hideous. (Spring, stop being such a JERK!) So I’m looking beyond spring, to a hot and sunny summer.

One of the most important products of summer is sunscreen, and one I am excited to try is Neutrogena Wet Skin Sunblock Spray. I love a good aerosol sunblock spray, even though I heard they might not be that good for you due to the very nanoparticles that make them great. To reduce my exposure a bit, I apply SPF 30 lotion at home before putting on my bikini, and then use a spray to “reapply” later, once I’m out on the beach or by the pool. (I really REALLY hate applying lotion near sand. It makes my skin crawl.) The other good thing about lotions is that they absorb into your skin, whereas sprays mostly just sit on the surface. With sprays, I’ve ended up with red patches where it has rubbed off, but a good lotion-ing before going out has solved that problem.

Usually, I’m also under an umbrella wearing a hat and sunglasses, since I’m not a fan of cancer OR wrinkles. But I’m not going to let those risks keep me from having fun in the water (or anywhere!), which is why good sunscreen is important. Still, keep in mind that you’re supposed to get 15-30 minutes of unprotected sun exposure a few times a week for Vitamin D. Moderation, and all that.

Back to the product at hand: This stuff is “designed to cut through water to apply directly to wet skin without whitening or dripping off.” I think it’s interesting that they’ve addressed, and solved, the “whitening” issue. The wet application aspect is especially important for my husband who is probably more prone to skin-cancer than myself, but is definitely less prone to reapply sunscreen. He’s also in and out of the ocean constantly and doesn’t use a towel. You can see why I was so happy to hear about this new technology. This spray contains Helioplex, which is an ingredient that Neutrogena actually invented and uses in almost all of it's sunscreens. It’s supposed to be great as far as broad spectrum UVA/UVB sun protection goes, and it's always done a good job for me.

They’re saying the new formula “forms a breathable protective barrier that visibly repels water.” Hmm. Hopefully this does not feel like wearing an invisible wetsuit. Let’s maybe try a little on my arm. Oooh! It smells SUMMERY! But a tiny bit chemically too. It feels light, definitely like there is something on there, but almost like I’ve recently applied a lotion. In a kitchen sink test, it really does repel water. I’m going to rub it to see if it balls up, because I can’t stand when stuff does that, like a lot of the “sport” formulas do. No! Fantastic. My skin feels smooth and moisturized. I went back and sprayed another layer on a wet arm, and it didn’t do anything weird. The spray cut right through the water, like the Moses of sunscreen. Ladies (and the occasional gentleman), I think this is going to be a good one! I feel like I should fly to Miami or Mexico to really try it out, but unfortunately, I think it’s going to have to wait until June in… mumblemumblenewjersey.

PS. I have recently written about trying to avoid certain chemicals and find more natural products whenever possible. I tried several natural sunscreens last summer and I hated all of them. If you have one that you love, please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment