July 22, 2011

A Woman’s Intuition


When I was wrote about the Schick Quattro earlier this summer, I asked if anyone had tried the totally crazy-looking Schick Intuition. Indeed, someone piped up with a serious love for the thing, so I put it on my (imaginary) list of things to try.

Since I’ll be traveling, I thought this would be the perfect time to test it out. I’m checking my bag, so I don’t REALLY have to be concerned about the quantity of liquids I’m bringing. Still, less is always better when you’re packing, and since it’s a solid, it won’t leak.

It turns out I bought my Intuition, or really “Intuition PLUS” (though I’m not exactly sure plus WHAT), at the perfect time. There is a limited edition of fun printed handles available right now. At the nearest Duane Reade, my options were a hot pink and yellow swirly pattern, or light pink polka dot. They also had two different shades of solid pink. I went polka dots because it matches my shower cap. (For some reason, I get matchy when it comes to bathroom stuff?)

This is definitely the largest razor I’ve ever used. The blade size is normal, but it has a big “Skin Conditioning Solid” surrounding it. It’s almost like the blade is embedded in a small bar of soap. Mine came with two cartridges, Shea Butter and Milk & Honey. They are totally inoffensive. One of the other Intuition razors came with Pomegranate “Skin Conditioning Solid”, and you know how I feel about fake-fruity shaving stuff. The handle is also really large. Easy to grip, I guess? Though maybe it’s just to support that massive head. It also comes with a cap, for TRAVEL!

The razor itself has four blades, plus couple of moisturizing whatever strips like they all have now. But it also has this tiny rubbery zigzag strip, presumably to help scrape up the hairs so they can be shaved off. I’m not sure if that actually helped or not, but it seems like a good idea.

I’ve only used this razor once so far, and it did a decent job. I wouldn’t say it provided closer shave than normal, but it was not less-close. The packaging tells you not to press too hard, so I didn’t. But apparently I didn’t press hard enough, because I had to go back and redo some areas. I felt like it was a little hard to maneuver under the arms as well. I think, probably, it just takes some getting used to.

My biggest concern is that I’m not sure how long this blade is going to last. The “Skin Conditioning Solid” seems to have worn down a lot faster than I was expecting. Though maybe I had it under the shower spray too much or something. The best thing to do is to wet your legs, then put your back to the water while you shave them. You’ll get a better lather and, in theory, the SCS won’t run out as quickly.

The Intuition is a lot bigger than a regular razor, but it’s smaller than traveling with a razor and a travel can of shaving cream. It’s about the same size as traveling with a regular razor and a small plastic travel bottle of coconut milk shave cream, which is what I would normally do. However, it has the benefit of being solid. It also has the benefit of being one thing instead of two. And it ALSO also has the benefit of saving a little time in the shower, since you don’t have to apply any kind of shaving cream/gel/lotion.

I am not sure if it’s going to make it into the travel bag or not. I’m gonna give it the weekend. If only I had the ability to know, without the need for conscious reasoning...

No comments:

Post a Comment