July 1, 2011

How to Make A Batch of Awesome


I’m going to close out this week of beach posts the same way I closed out my week of beach: with frozen watermelon margaritas.

My bro-in-law and sis-in-law (who actually traveled with her Vitamix!) made these for us on our last day, and they were AMAZING. I begged for the recipe and permission to share with my readers. They were happy to oblige. They had gotten it from someone else, that probably got it from someone else, and so on and so forth, and onward in the way of recipes. And now it continues:

Cut up a watermelon and freeze chunks. Rim glasses with lime and salt. In a blender, add 3/4 c. tequila, 1/2 c. triple sec, and 1/3 c. lime juice. Fill blender with frozen watermelon chunks and blend. Garnish with a lime.

How much watermelon? I don’t know! A blenderful, I guess! It doesn’t really matter, because it will definitely be awesome. It will just be stronger or weaker based on how much watermelon you use.

One thing we noticed: Make sure you cut the watermelon into chunks that your blender can handle. The Vitamix was able to process pretty big pieces, but when they tried to make an “unleaded” version in the regular blender (substituting lemonade for the liquor) the little blender couldn’t handle it. Watermelon is mostly water, which makes frozen watermelon mostly ice.

From what I understand, it is also possible to make this ahead of time, and then put it in the freezer. Scoop and serve when the time comes. I haven’t tried it… YET. But it sounds very, very convenient.

With this basic recipe, I would think you could substitute whatever fruit you have. Except banana or apple, that would probably be gross. Mango, peach, and strawberry all sound pretty fantastic though. If you’re short on time, or feeling lazy, you could also just use fruit that you buy frozen. That has the added benefit of being already ready to go. No planning ahead or waiting for something to freeze. You don't even have to chop anything. (It actually might be too convenient? Is there such a thing?)

Still, watermelon is super great, and perfect for summer. You have to try the watermelon version at least once, but I encourage you to test the margaritability of whatever else strikes your fancy. Since it's fruit, I'm pretty sure it counts as a salad. Happy Weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Since it counts as salad, I'm having thirdsies!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally making this with my Blendtec (the "Will it blend?" blender), which is all kinds of awesome. Pretty cool though, a no-sugar margarita recipe! It'd be pretty low in Weight Watchers points too, what with fruit being 0 points. Surely not their intention with that rule but hell, I'll take it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh! That's a good blender too! AND it's famous!

    ReplyDelete