July 11, 2011

I Don't Like Mondays II


It’s been awhile since I complained about anything (to you, anyway) so I thought I’d tell you about few more things you don’t have to bother spending your money on. Unless, of course, you already have and love these things. In which case, good for you! For me, not so good.



Urban Decay All Nighter Long-Lasting Makeup Setting Spray

This is supposed to keep your makeup on for like a hundred years (16 hours) and through all kinds of stuff. I used it a couple of times but didn’t really notice anything special about it. It was very wet. I felt like I was ruining my makeup whenever I used it, even though I sprayed it in the special way they tell you to. A fine mist would have been so much better. Plus, it’s a huge bottle, it would last years! Maybe if I was some sort of competitive dancer. Well, I AM a competitive dancer, but I don’t think Just Dance 2 for wii actually counts. Maybe if you really really have a problem with your makeup staying on your face? They make it in a travel size bottle now, so that might be worthwhile.



Bliss Steep Clean Mask

I really wanted to love this. The reviews on Sephora were all like “I could see the stuff that came out of my pores when I wiped it off!” And I was all “YUCK! That’s AWESOME!!!!” But I tried it three times, twice after hot showers and once after steaming my face over a bowl. I was not impressed, plus it was really expensive. Returned it. Thank you, Sephora for always taking this stuff back.


 

Silk’n SensEpil

This thing was my biggest beauty product buy ever, and the only reason I even tried it was because I knew I could return it to Sephora if it didn’t work for me. I used it as directed (on my arms) for almost four months. It did nothing. I don’t even think it slowed the hair down. I didn’t really expect it to work, but I was really hoping it would.

For effective laser treatments, you really have to go pro. And make sure it’s a real laser. I can’t tell you how much money I threw away on IPL treatments, which are essentially temporary! Intense Pulsed Light is not a laser and it doesn’t last. The Silk’n SensEpil is HPL, or Home Pulsed Light, which is even less effective. Save up your money and go somewhere that uses a real laser. Candela GentleLASE and GentleYAG are good ones. And make sure you’re going to someone licensed and certified!

Yeah, MONDAY! Rar.

4 comments:

  1. I got the All Nighter spray in a set (the Sephora summertime one they have out now, I actually like most of the things in it) and do like it a lot. I like the way it makes my makeup look (makes it a little dewier I think) and I did get some more staying power out of it. A full size is on its way to me right now actually. Their pricing on the travel vs. full size is nuts though! $11 for 1/3 ounce or $29 for 4 ounces! Definitely worth trying it in a set if you can, so you only pay a few dollars to give it a shot.

    PS OMG I just peeked at some YouTube videos of July Birchboxes and I can't wait! Looks pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See, that's what I WANTED it to do, but I didn't feel dewy, I felt WET. They have a new one called "Just Dew Me" that I was thinking about trying, but I wish they offered it in the smaller size. Maybe I'll try it in the store.

    I can't wait for the July Birchbox, I was snooping around the mailroom today looking for it, but no luck. I'm not peeking though, I want to be surprised!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know Skindinavia makes all of the Urban Decay sprays, and I assume they're the same, just repackaged and renamed? I found the Urban Decay language about which one to choose kind of confusing, but the Skindinavia site made a little more sense to me. The "Moisture Lock Makeup Finish" (ugh, what a name) is the same as Dew Me, pretty sure. They offer that in a 2 ounce size, but then I guess you don't have the convenience of returning it so easily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the info! At least with the small size it's not as expensive to try it out, returns or not. Plus, I doubt it's the kind of thing I'd use every day so a smaller size would be better.

    ReplyDelete