June 20, 2012

Less-Fair, Less-Hair.


Last weekend I went to a wedding in Pennsylvania, and my mother-in-law asked how I managed to have a tan already. The answer, of course, is self-tanner. Gradual self-tanner, to be precise, because it is so much easier and less stressful to use than the stuff that makes you tan all at once, though I occasionally do that too. You might have heard me mention it before.

Yesterday, I was in the middle of an acupuncture treatment when the acupuncturist complemented my color. I told her it was self tanner, and she wanted to know which specific one, because the shade was so nice. I told it was Nivea Sun-Kissed Beautiful Legs Gradual Tanner, and she commented again on how natural it looked. At the end of the treatment, she confirmed the name with me to make sure she knew exactly which one to buy.

Natural-looking color is the most important thing about self-tanner, gradual or otherwise. It’s pretty obvious Nivea gets points for that. But these days, gradual tanners also offer bonuses, like sunscreen, firming, or shave-minimizing.

Last year I went for less-jiggle, but this year I tried for less-hairiness, just to see if it really worked. I didn’t have high expectations, but after a few weeks (2-3?) of daily use, I’m definitely noticing a difference. I actually noticed a difference after one week, but I wasn’t positive until now.

I usually have to shave my legs every day, owing both to my perfectionism and to my Italian heritage. I still have to shave my legs every day, but it’s definitely a less-dire situation. If you are someone who doesn’t have to shave every day, I envy you. And as if you didn’t already have it easy enough, this stuff will probably work even better for you than for me.

Still, I'm a fan. Until next year, when I hope someone will come out with a great shave-minimizing-firming-gradual-self-tanner. Lightly-tanned fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment