June 1, 2012

NOT Cool, Dude.


Earlier this week I wrote about shopping ESP. Today, a story about what happens when I ignore my shopping intuition, because I did that on Saturday, and it was a real pain in the foot.

On Saturday afternoon, I was in Duane Reade with my friend Aline, who was stocking up on Burt’s Bees lip balm before heading back to Switzerland. As we perused Burt’s other products, I noticed a tube of peppermint foot lotion. It seemed like something good to have, but I wasn’t buying anything else that day, and I didn’t need it at the moment, so I didn’t pick it up.

By Tuesday, my feet were hot and sore, and I wished I had some peppermint foot lotion. I had spent Monday walking around Ikea, then assembling a monolithic storage cabinet, Sunday walking around Ikea, then going to a bbq/dance party, Saturday and Friday walking around Brooklyn and Manhattan with our houseguests, plus, a little bit of arc trainer at the gym. For “whatever reason” my feet and legs were killing me!

So on Tuesday morning I made special trip to Duane Reade to buy myself some peppermint foot lotion. Granted, Duane Reade is exactly one block from my apartment, so it wasn’t that big of a deal. But they didn’t have the peppermint foot cream at that Duane Reade, so I went to the other Duane Reade, two blocks away. (In NYC, Duane Reades are as ubiquitous as Starbucks.) Still no peppermint foot lotion, even though I was sure they had at least three tubes in that store when I was there with Aline. Then I tried the gross Rite Aid (one block from the farther Duane Reade and two blocks from my apartment) but they didn’t have the foot cream either.

Yes, that’s three drugstores within a three block radius of my home, and none of them had the peppermint foot lotion, even though I saw it at one of the stores three days prior. If I had just listened to my shopping ESP I would have bought the darn cream when I saw it and not had to traipse all over the hot sidewalk on my already sore feet. I gave up and went home.

On Wednesday I looked for peppermint foot lotion at the health food store. No luck. Then, with the help of my friend Jen, who suggested I try CVS, I came to the realization that I had been in CVS with Aline when I saw the foot lotion, not Duane Reade. As I headed over to the CVS (there are two CVSes 5 and 6 blocks from my apartment in different directions) I stopped in at the “big” Rite Aid that was on the way, with the hope that I would save my aching feet another block’s walk. Still no.

Just to recap, that’s 2 Duane Reades, 2 CVSes, and 2 Rite Aids within 6 blocks of where I live. They all carry Burt’s Bees products, but the first four stores I tried (not even including the health food store) didn’t have the product I needed.

When I got to CVS I found they had three tubes of Burt’s Bees Peppermint Foot Cream, right where I left them on Saturday. Hooray! Finally! JEEZ.

It’s okay. I wanted it to be like 500x more minty.

No comments:

Post a Comment