December 8, 2011

Gelishious


Today we have our first ever guest post! Friend and reader, Aline, tells us all about Gelish Soak-Off Gel Polish, and how to achieve the perfect retro red manicure. A classic holiday look!

As a girl obsessed with all things 50’s and 60’s, I like wearing red on my nails (and lips, but that’s another story). However, red nail polish requires high maintenance, and my manicure always chips after 2 to 3 days.

My first attempt at a long-lasting manicure was the permanent gel. One of my friends, a manicurist, did my nails for a few months. I was very satisfied with the result: strong, super shiny red nails for 3 weeks, even if this solution was expensive for my student budget. In January 2011 I had to remove the gel as I moved to Italy for my studies. My nails were very damaged and it took me more than 3 months to retrieve healthy looking nails.

My quest for the perfect manicure was not over.

I think I first heard about Shellac, the permanent nail polish, about one year ago; I live in Switzerland and it is still pretty much unknown here. I wanted to try this system but could not find a salon that offered it. I forgot about it until recently, when I read something about Gelish, a competitor offering a very similar process, only cheaper. I read many positive reviews of women doing it at home. It sounded like the perfect mix of permanent gel and nail polish: easy to apply and remove, but strong, shiny and long lasting result just like with a UV gel. I ordered all the materials and decided to give it a try.


Now, 2 weeks after my first manicure, I am really satisfied with the result. It looks similar to the gel nails I had, but thinner, which is good. And I can do it myself! The money invested is covered with about 3 trips to the salon. No chips, no nails broken, it’s so convenient and you don’t need to be careful during your everyday duties; it will resist to typing, dishwashing, an untimely encounter with a wall or even gardening, from what I have read!

Here is what you need for a Gelish manicure, along with the cheaper alternatives that I used after reading many reviews: it worked perfectly as they are the main ingredients of the products they replace, and it is much cheaper! You might even have these products at home already. I purchased the Gelish products on Amazon.com but had to pick a seller that ships internationally (the shop is called “Xpressurself” and I recommend it).
  • A buffer
  • Orange sticks
  • Lint free nail wipes (I had make up sponges at home)
  • Hand & Nail Harmony Cleanser (I used isopropyl alcohol)
  • Hand & Nail Harmony PH Bond (I used isopropyl alcohol)
  • Gelish Foundation Gel
  • Gelish Soak Off Gel Polish (I only ordered Hot Rod Red, but you have 72 options!)
  • Gelish Top it Off Gel Sealer
  • UV lamp (36W) I bought the cheapest one I could find as they all work the same, as long as they have four 9W neons! I know they are not very expensive in the USA though.
To remove the polish:
  • Hand & Nail Harmony Soak Off Gel Remover (I used pure acetone)
I was afraid that 10 minuts with pure acetone on my nails would damage them but I was relieved to discover totally healthy nails under the coat of gel.

A few quick tips:

Be careful not to let any polish on your skin or cuticles before curing the gel, it may lift the polish from your nails and make your manicure chip faster. Remove the excess with an orange stick. I recommend painting more slowly than with regular nail polish.

Don’t forget to seal the edge of your nails as shown in the Nail Teacher Video. It is supposed to make your manicure last longer.

These are the tutorials I used:

Here is how it looks 2 weeks after my first application, before removing the polish. My nails grow fast and you can see that I need to redo the manicure. However, the gel is still shiny and I did not experience any chipping (except for a tiny line at the top of my index but it is barely visible). I started to notice though, that the bottom part, closest to the cuticle, began to lift slightly today. I also find that the color is too transparent.


Below is the result 3 days after my second manicure. I applied 3 coats of color and I am more satisfied with the appearance, though I wish it would be completely opaque. I am pleased by this system and will definitely continue to use it every 2 weeks. I can now wear my nails longer and round, and pretend I’m in the 50s everyday!


It sounds like this classic manicure could last for the entire holiday season! Plus, provide nonstop glamor in the new year. Thanks for sharing, Aline!

1 comment: