June 27, 2012

Mask Masque


My husband was working late (again!) so I figured it was the perfect time to try the new Masqueology  Pore Minimizing Masque I got in my June Birchbox. This plan usually backfires, and my husband ends up coming home mid-masque, then makes some HILARIOUS comment, but I keep doing it anyway.

This is the fabric type of masque, with all the masque-y goodness soaked into a face shaped piece of material. Literally, a mask. This type of masque is much less messy than the cream/paste/gel kind, but is not necessarily less ridiculous looking, in case you were wondering.

The liquid the fabric is soaked in is really viscous and the whole thing feels like some kind of weird sea creature or slimy mushroom... that you put on your face! Mushroom extract is actually one of the main ingredients, but the texture thing might be coincidental. You could totally use this for a haunted house, in a pinch. Especially because it’s really scary looking once you’re wearing it.

This particular masque mask gives you the option of having eye and mouth holes, or not. I opted to have eye and mouth holes, which meant the fabric that would have been covering my eyes and mouth flopped loosely down my face. The effect was really creepy, but no one was home. The floppy fabric also made it impossible to do anything but recline and chill out for 20 minutes, to keep the masque from plopping off my face and onto the floor. I guess there are worse things I could have to do.

After I removed the masque, and massaged the remaining liquid into my skin as directed, my pores were much tighter and my face felt smooth and moist. But how long would it last?

The next morning, after a rather sweaty night (thanks to no AC in the bedroom yet) my pores were more evident, though they were still smaller than usual. After moisturizer and BB Cream, my pores were invisible, which was really nice. I kind of thought this mask was nbd, but I have to say, I was impressed. Still, I wanted to see just how long it would last. One more day? Just until tonight?

Well the tiny pores made it through a Pilates session, though, admittedly, I don’t really sweat very much doing Pilates. Post-pilates evening shower, and they were still looking good. I honestly didn’t expect that, I feel like the visible effects of most masques are very short-lived.

The following morning, I guess we’re at like 40 hours at this point, I am still sporting smaller than usual pores, though I can see the effects of the masque are fading. Still, I’m rather impressed. I’m anticipating having smaller pores at least until tomorrow morning.

Now I’m considering buying this product, though it will depend on the price. I think I would be willing to pay up to $5 per masque for these results, max. However, according to Birchbox and Sephora, they are priced at $24 for 3 masques. Boo! That’s $8 per masque, or roughly ten bucks more than I’m willing to pay for it. Oh well. I got an $8 masque for “free” in my Birchbox!

No comments:

Post a Comment