June 6, 2012

Seche Vite Sandwich, Hold The Chips



I wrote about Seche Vite ages ago, but if you haven’t tried it yet, here’s a little story, and a tip, that may convince you of its awesomeness.

This morning I got a text from one of my sisters: “Do you use Seche Vite between coats? I usually don’t but I put 2 coats of pink on on Fri with SV as the topcoat. Sat, one was smudged and the coverage was a little thin, so I did another coat of pink and another coat of SV. My nails are nearly perfect, and it was only Revlon polish. My nails NEVER last this long.”

And then later: “I even went swimming.”

She also has an 18-month old son, so her hands and nails take a decent amount of abuse on a daily basis. She sent photographic proof of the effectiveness of her technique:


For comparison purposes, the photo below shows my nails, also painted (by a professional manicurist, no less) on Friday. I did not use Seche Vite, I do not have a child, and I did not go swimming.


I always use Seche Vite when I DIY/M. And when I have time/think about it, I usually add a coat of Seche Vite after a professional manicure. Right after, the day after, a few days after, whenever, and it really does make the manicure last longer. (Sometimes I even remember to bring my SV to the salon and have them use it as my topcoat.) Now I have a new trick, because it seems like sandwiching in an extra coat of color produces even better results. My sister is well on her way to making her polish last a week, while mine has been a mess for at least two days now. You could even layer colors (maybe a sheer shimmer?) to change up your nails midway.

I’m sure if you use this trick with your regular topcoat, you would have good results too. However, Seche Vite is stronger and glossier than any of the other topcoats I’ve tried, plus it has a UV barrier and won’t yellow. Unfortunately, it is not a Big Three Free product, and I’ve heard it doesn’t work well as a topcoat for B3F polishes. Also, it can be expensive, but at the moment Amazon has it
 for $4.39 plus free shipping! You seriously cannot beat that for such a quality product.

Shopping tips! Polish tips! Fingertips!

4 comments:

  1. That's great! I would have never had the idea of doing another coat of color + top coat.

    I wanted to tell you that I just read in a consumer test magazine that Revlon nailpolish is B3F and it seemed that it worked well for your sister so you can apparently mix 3F nailpolish and non 3F topcoat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about peeling when mixing B3F and non-B3f in the reviews on Amazon, so who knows, maybe they were just applying it too thick?

      Delete
  2. I've found a couple times, on light/bright colors especially, that Seche Vite will discolor? The first time, I thought maybe it was that I'd been handling raw onions. The second time, though, I had mint green nails, which by the end of a weekend (where I was just attending a wedding!), they were clearly darker/browner. >:[

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that sucks! I've never had that experience but I tend to wear darker colors anyway.

      Delete