September 8, 2011

You Say You Want A Revolution


I’ve never understood why eyelash curlers had to have those bars on the sides. Why couldn’t someone just make a hinge on the back, so we wouldn’t have to worry about getting our lashes pinched in the corners? Well, it took 80-ish years, but Urban Decay finally did it.

The Revolution is an open-cage curler, which promises not to crimp your lashes or pinch your skin. Instead of the bars on the sides, there is simply a hinge on the back. (Hey, what a great idea!) They say “the open cage allows you to curl your lashes all at once OR in little sections.” Okay! Except: I can’t get all of my lashes to curl at once. I’ve been trying to get the hang of it for over a week now, and it’s just not happening. I think, for me, it’s just too small.

I’ve tried using The Revolution to curl my lashes in two sections, but I feel like I can’t get the bend to line up, and it seems like some of my eyelashes get mangled at the overlap. Also, I usually curl my lashes in three places, at the base, in the middle and near the tips. Now I am supposed to curl them in six places? Or really, TWELVE places, since I have two eyes? That’s just crazy!

It seems I do not want a Revolution after all.

I am going to stay with the traditional eyelash curler, “which looks like a pair of drunk scissors” according to Edith over at The Hairpin. Mine is Shu Uemura, which is a little wider than other brands, which I now remember is the reason I bought it in the first place. (I’d had a Revlon one previously, and barely used it because it was always wrecking the lashes at the corners.) My eyes are fairly large, and I like that the Shu Uemura curler is wide enough to fit all of my eyelashes at once, even the ones on the end, without crimping any of them. I’ve been using it for years, I’m good at it, and I’m sticking with it.


However! If you have small-ish and/or deep-set eyes, The Revolution may be a good fit for you. It seems like it would be easier to maneuver in a tight space, unlike the traditional curler, which can be unwieldy. It was simple and comfortable to use, and it functioned smoothly. It comes with 5 replacement pads, though I think I have only replaced a curler pad one time in my entire life, so that might be a little excessive.

The reviews on Sephora.com seem to be either five stars, or one star. People love it or hate it. The people who love it admitted it took a little practice. I think I gave it a fair shot, and it just wasn’t right for me. But now I have a new appreciation of my old drunk scissors.

No comments:

Post a Comment