September 9, 2011

The Twist


You’re never going to believe what’s been in my hair, on my wrist, or on my bedside table since the day I got it. Is it a bird? NO. Is it a plane? NO. It is the Twistband? YEAH. I am totally hooked on what is basically a loop of elastic, tied in knot.

I was excited about the Twistband I found in my August Birchbox, even though I nearly missed it, because it looks like, well, trash? The whole thing is just a scrap of stretchy ribbon. Still, I had heard about them and wanted to try one, so I was thrilled to get a “free” sample. I put it in my hair, and it’s pretty much been on or near me ever since.


 It’s an approximately 3” loop of 5/8” wide ribbon, and I just had to take it out of my ponytail so I could measure it for you. The material is really smooth, without being slippery, and it seems to have just the right amount of stretch. So far, I have not over-stretched it to the point where it is useless, which seems to happen after just one or two uses of my normal thick black Goody elastics.

They say it will not leave a dent your hair, which I don’t think is exactly true. It probably creases LESS, but it all really depends on the texture of your hair, what kind of products you have in it, and the weather that day.

They also say it will not snag, and I found this to be absolutely true. The material is really smooth, and I feel like it’s less damaging than regular hair elastics, even the metal-free kind. It holds my hair securely, but you know how sometimes one or two hairs will feel like they are getting pulled out? It doesn’t do that. It makes a very comfortable pony. I would even say THE MOST comfortable pony, ever.

To be honest, I kind of wanted to NOT like it, because it seems so silly to pay more than a few cents for a ponytail holder. But it is a really GREAT ponytail holder, and it has become indispensable. I started to get worried about losing my little friend, so I decided to actually buy some.

They are 3 for $5 on the Birchbox site, with free shipping if you buy it with something else. (Such as another pack of Twistbands, which is what I did.) You can also buy them from the Twistband site, which has a lot more color options, as well as headbands and hair ties printed with stupid things like soccer balls or “blondes have more fun”, which everyone knows is a lie. Shipping is $2.99 for a six-pack.

Sephora makes a knock-off version that they sell in sets of 8 for $8. I am pretty sure they are just as good, because, yeah, it’s a loop. But the Sephora ones come in sets of neutral or jewel tones and I only want the black ones.

While Sephora seems to have been the first to make a knock-off, I doubt they’ll be the last. It will probably only be a matter of time before some version of these starts showing up in drugstores at a much lower price. Until then, I will treat myself to $1.67 ponytail holders, because I’m worth it.

*Update! If you want to make your own, because, let's face it, it can't possibly be that hard, you can buy 5/8" fold over elastic  online, and probably in any store that sells fabric and notions.*

No comments:

Post a Comment