September 1, 2011

Ahoy! Eye “Patches”


Yesterday, I got an interesting email from Sephora about a new product: Adhesive Eyeliner. Apparently, Dior has made “a set of innovative eyeliner ‘patches’ that are ready to wear in minutes.”

“Straight from the runway”, the eyeliner patches were designed by Dior makeup artists, and are made of… velvet. And some Swarovski crystals, of course. The set includes “4 pairs of eyeliner patches: 2 black ones, 1 all pasted with anthracite grey crystals, 1 black with white crystals” and “small glue.” It seriously says “all pasted with anthracite grey crystals.” Also, the subheading is “Backstage Eyeliners-To-Wear Multi-Wear Adhesive Eyeliner Patches” so it makes me think the copy was not edited very carefully. I guess they were in a hurry to break the news of this amazing innovation.

Sephora.com compares the patches to a sticker or a temporary tattoo, neither of which I can imagine wearing on my eyes. Plus, the fact that they are called “patches” just makes me feel like, GET IT OFF ME. (Though I do really enjoy wearing a pirate-style eye-patch when I can.) They say they are adjustable, multipurpose, and comfortable. I can see maybe one of those descriptors being true. I’m not sure which one though. They claim to be reusable, but the general consensus on the interwebz is that eventually the patches will get gunky, like false lashes do. My guess is that they will get yucky pretty quickly, because the surface area that gets glued is bigger than it is on your average strip of eyelashes. I wonder if you wore glue-on eyeliner AND glue-on lashes if you’d even be able to open your eyes.


The photos in the email show the patches, and then some eyes wearing dramatic eyeliner. But I don’t think those eyes are actually wearing the patches. It looks to me like they are (kind of obviously) wearing real eyeliner and fake eyelashes. Which makes me think that the patches don’t really look so great, at least close up. This is surprising. (Haha. No it isn’t.)

I won’t be trying these, and not just because I refuse spend $59 on them. Even if I wanted to take advantage of Sephora’s return policy just to see what they’re all about, I’m not going to bother. I am fully capable of doing very dramatic eyeliner looks using actual eyeliner. I used to do it on the reg, sometimes just to go into the office. (In creative fields, you can really get away with almost anything.) The thing is, my style in general is more toned down than it used to be. Plus, with another 8-10 years added to my face, and the same added to my lifestyle, I don’t find a lot of occasion for extreme eyelining these days. I’m mostly okay with that.

That doesn’t mean you can’t try them though! The patches are currently only available to Beauty Insiders, but they’ll be in stores on September 16th. I don’t know how you’ll ever live without them for that long.

7 comments:

  1. How....how....how is that a thing? I mean, really: What do you do if your eyes are almond- or lemon-shaped, or totally round, like mine? Do you sort of squish and stretch the patches, like you can with those nail-polish stickers? And do you then end up with pattern weirdness?

    Dude: I am a child of the 80's. If I want, at forty-something, to draw kicky new shapes on my eyelids, I can do so my own self. Bring me an eyeliner that'll take ten inches off my waist and ten years off my face and we'll chat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God, I was having all of the same thoughts yesterday reading that email then looking at the product page. The copy is ridiculoussss! And yeah, I totally don't buy that these work. Can't wait to see some YouTubers give them a try though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know about an eyeliner, Jo, but maybe Spanx will start making foundation?

    Paige, I would have totally bought them just to be like "Haha WTF?!" but I couldn't stand to let them think $59 + tax is an acceptable price for something that is clearly so ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously. At first I didn't realize they were reusable and I was kind of offended, but then I realized they were reusable and I was still kind of offended, just slightly less so. $45 for a kick-ass Dior highlighter that'll last me through 2 years of daily use? I'll pay that, albeit reluctantly. This? Noooo.

    Though I would say that I feel like they'd sell a lot more if they sold the pairs individually for $15. There are a couple of those that I wouldn't ever wear, and it feels easier to spend $15 on a ridiculous thing than $60.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good point. I would have dropped $15 just to try one set so I could see for myself, and, of course, write about them. (Even though I'm still POSITIVE they're weird.) I feel like they are going about this whole thing all wrong.

    Tell me about this highlighter though...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's the Dior Shimmer Star...I have it in Rose Diamond. I can't really figure it out...when I put it on it doesn't even seem like it's doing anything, but then I'll catch glances of myself throughout the day or see pictures taken and I look all glowy and nice. Don't know if I'll buy it again because I saw a piece of glitter in it once and it made me sad. But still, I really, really like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, I see. Glitter is my fear too. (I probably shouldn't buy a highlighter anyway since I rarely use the ones I have.)

    ReplyDelete