September 6, 2011

September: Off To A Glorious Start!

Just kidding! Can you imagine a yuckier way to begin the week? It’s not even Monday, but if feels even worse than a Monday. It’s like a rainy Monday, and also you’re already a day behind on everything you wanted to get done this week.

A four day week, followed by a four day weekend, followed by THIS. Like that trick where someone walks into a room, and a bucket of water falls on them. The fun is, officially, over. The sky says: “If you were thinking, ‘Well, summer is ending, but it will still be nice for awhile’ YOU WERE WRONG. And you will continue to be wrong ALL WEEK.”

Summer is over and this week’s weather is not going to let you forget it. Instead of a bright, sparkly September day, we have this rain. And then… more rain. My dashboard calendar is showing rain all the way ‘til Saturday. My iCal is showing all the appointments I made for this week, instead of last week when the weather was beautiful. That’s just the way it seems to work out, every time. I will have to traipse all over town, in the rain, all week. Hooo-ray.

This weather is just so oppressive!!! It’s like a cold, wet, gray blanket. I can practically feel it weighing on my shoulders and dripping on my new shoes. If I sound like a downer, it’s because the weather makes me so. It's gloomy and it's making me gloomy. If you ever wonder what kind of mood I’m in, just look outside. The weather’s affect on me is one of the reasons I dread winter. And winter is coming, there is no doubt about it.

In an effort to cheer up both you, and myself, here are some things (in no particular order) that are good about cold rainy fake-Mondays. Try to do as many of them as you can on this shitty, shitty day. If not today, then there is always all week.

1. You can be anti-social without feeling guilty that you’re “wasting” a beautiful day/night.

2. You can get dinner delivered OR you can make pasta. Bikini season is SO FAR AWAY.

3. Snuggling with your cat is cozy, not uncomfortably warm.

4. You can cross stuff off your “to-do” list not because it’s done, but because you’re not going to do it today.

5. You can wear your slippers.

6. Sweatpants are not only acceptable, they’re encouraged.

7. Hot Tea!

8. Couch-related activities (reading, movie watching, etc.)

9. You can be lazy and blame it on the weather.

10. ??? (I don’t even know. This weather sucks.)

8 comments:

  1. Or... you can come visit your friend in Florence where the weather is still warm like the best swiss summer days! Yay I found one thing I like about living in this city: I get to wear my summer dresses a lot :) More seriously I totally understand and sympathize. There is still a chance that the weather will improve before the end of September!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I WISH!!! Yes, the weather will get better, eventually... we should have some nice fall days. But then, before long, it will get worse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. September is usually the best month in the Pacific Northwest, and this one in Seattle is not disappointing. We deserve it, though, for all the rain in July this year. Hang in there! Soon it'll start to smell like Fall and there's nothing better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You DO deserve it! My Portland friends were calling it "Juneuary" and I guess July wasn't much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now we are on the second week of high 90's weather here in Portland! It's supposed to be 97 tomorrow! What?! I like the transition from summer to fall because of fall fashion (well, and because of the leaves and the crispness in the air, etc). Also, ps, I comment almost every blog from my iPad, and it seems to never make it out of the iPad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can come here to Central Texas, where everything is on fire! If you do visit, though, please please bring the rain with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ERFette: I love fall too, but we skipped fall and went straight to winter! (For this week, at least.) I went out this morning in a sweater and jeans and I was COLD.

    Jo: I am not going anywhere the rain goes, but if I could send it down to you, I certainly would. We have WAY more than is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, it's easy for me to glorify fall from afar when it's 97 degrees here. Also, when I think of fall, I dont think of rain. I think you're entitled a little grumbling.

    ReplyDelete