September 13, 2011

Hit or Miss(oni)


Today was the launch of Missoni for Target. I had been anxiously awaiting the new line, and got more and more nervous every time I saw another ad. It seemed like the most hyped designer partnership they’d ever done and I was hoping they would be able to back it up, and put their merch where their mouth is.

The first thing I did this morning was go to Target.com. Which was not working. Every few minutes over the next few hours I tried to get on, and continued to fail. I briefly considered going to The Worst Target in The World (Atlantic Terminal) but since it’s not only terrible, but also the only Target in the area, I figured it was double-not-worth it. So I just kept hitting refresh in between doing things that actually needed to get done. (P.S. I just heard that everything was sold out at World's Worst by 8.30 am.)

Eventually, I had to run out to do some errands. When I came back, still no luck. I think it finally worked for me some time around 2pm, though it’s hard to know because I didn’t look at the clock, I was too busy trying to shop as more and more things went out of stock. My strategy was: cart first, think later. I ended up with $300 worth of stuff in my cart, before ruthlessly editing it down to the stuff I “really needed.”

I managed to snag a hand towel, two makeup bags, and two dresses (I bought two different sizes in the hopes that one will fit, so, let’s say one dress.) What I really wanted was the blanket, the suitcase and the espresso cups, which were all sold out by the time I was able to get on the site. I’m hoping that the things I ordered actually show up, because during the Alexander McQueen partnership, the awesome dress I ordered never arrived. I also hope that when/if the stuff shows up, it won't be super-chintzy. That's another issue with the designer collections and why I generally go with the accessories.

If you missed out, have no fear! All the Missoni stuff can now be found on Ebay, for a lot more money, sold by assholes who are taking all the fun out of shopping and ruining everything for everyone.

*Thanks for the headline Beth!*


2 comments:

  1. I went today and got the hair clips, the black suede pumps (I thought of your blog post!), and a clip board. I almost got a make up case, but ultimately put it back. I tried on the sweater dress. The quality is pretty good, but I opted not to get it because I liked it on, but didn't love it. But more like in a fit way, not a design way.

    I was there at noon, and all of the bags were already gone. I didn't see the blanket or suitcase, but didn't think too look.

    But! Years ago when they had the the Rafe collaboration, I really wanted this royal blue hand bag. I didn't get there in time, and it was sold out. Months later I randomly found that bag on a clearance rack, and it had obviously been returned. It had no tags, and the sales lady didn't know how to ring it up, so she made up a price. "9.99." I ran out of the store before anyone could tackle me down. I still wear that bag. It's a true story of triumph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. Certainly a "hall of fame" piece for your wardrobe! I'm really hoping more pieces will turn up. They said "limited time" not "limited edition" so I have hope. If not, then maybe some returns.

    Glad you were able to snag some goodies!

    ReplyDelete