June 7, 2011

Walk A Mile in Your Shoes



It’s Wedding Season! I’ve just been to the first of four weddings I’m attending this summer, and I thought I would share some of my little tricks for making dressing up a bit more comfortable, specifically, your feets!

I feel like the number one complaint about dressing up fancy is uncomfortable shoes. Guys even complain about this, and seriously guys, SHUT. UP. You have no idea. Just find a pair that fits you properly and you’ll be set. You even get to wear socks! And you can invest in a good pair because you can wear the exact same shoes to every event, for years and years, with one of your two suits. So, do that, and then remember to shut up.

Back to the ladies! Let’s face it, if your feet aren’t happy, you’re not going to be happy, and while it’s not likely you’ll find a pair of heels that’s as comfy as your favorite flats, there are things you can do to help the cause. Consider the following:

Heel Height
This seems obvious, but it must not be because I see girls doing this all the time: Don’t get a heel that’s too high for you to walk in. While discreet platforms have really helped make high heels more comfortable, if your shoes make you walk like Bambi on a frozen lake, you should find a lower heel. Sky-high shoes may do fantastic things for your legs, but when you can’t walk with confidence, you blow your whole look.

Toe Shape

Depending on the shape of your foot, you may be more comfortable in a pointy or rounded toe shoe. You’re going to have to try on a bunch, or better, base it on your own experience. I like an almond shape or pointy, depending on the shoe (and the current fashion). I’ve found peep toes to be very comfortable because your toes aren’t jammed up against the end of the shoe, but they still have the support of a regular pump, so your feet don’t slide forward too much.

Materials
This is where good quality really makes a difference. Softer leather is going to be more comfortable, that’s all there is to it. That said, you never know. Try them on and if they are just a little stiff, you might be able to work with them. If they feel hard or uncomfortable or rub you funny, don’t assume you can break them in. Most of the time your feet break before the shoes do.

Measure
If you want to get really tricky, you can measure the heel and the distance across the toe box of your most comfortable heels and try to get something similar. That may be a lot of work, but it’s probably worth it. Most of the time, once you figure out a shoe is really uncomfortable, it’s too late to return it.

Read Reviews
I swear, I read reviews for everything I buy except groceries. And if Fresh Direct had reviews, I would be all over it. Zappos, Endless, Piperlime and DSW all have reviews of their shoes. This is a great way to find out how they fit, as well as how comfortable they are. I just found a reasonably comfortable pair of strappy sandals by reading reviews on Zappos. There are a couple of strings breaking loose after just one wear, but I wore them for 9 hours without pain. That’s hard to find with a fancy sandal! I will accept those strings, because I have scissors.

Check Out The Details
Sometimes, there are great things already built into the shoe. As I said before, a platform makes the heel feel less high and therefore more comfortable. I love it when I can find a pair with a discreet rubber sole, that’s my favorite. So much easier to walk in! Cole Haan actually makes pumps with Nike Air technology. I tried on a pair of these recently, and they were great, but were a ½ size too small so I have to send them back. A lot of the comfort lines like Rockport and Aerosoles are really making an effort to make better looking shoes too. Just make sure they don’t LOOK like “comfort shoes.”

Add Your Own Details
One thing I have added to almost every pair of heels I own is non-skid stickers for the bottoms. It’s practically mandatory if you’re going to be walking on the terrazzo floors of a church, which can be treacherous. I made sure all my bridesmaids had a pair when I got married. The company that makes them is called Foot Petals, but many drugstores have started carrying their own brand. Duane Reade has “Apt.5” stuff that is actually made by Foot Petals. I’ve also been having issues recently with my heel slipping out of the back of my shoes. Foot Petals also makes heel grips, which are not 100% awesome, but are pretty good. They make strappy strips to line straps that slip or rub, and all kinds of cushioning for the ball of your foot and the arches. Dr. Scholl’s also has a bunch of good stuff to customize/comfortize your shoes. All that said, these things are better for when you thought a shoe was going to be comfortable, but you were wrong. If a shoe starts out uncomfortable, it has much farther to go to be comfortable, and you might never get there.

Protect Your Heels
I have destroyed the heels on two of my favorite ever pairs of shoes by showing up to a party and being faced with a large expanse of gravel. Walking on gravel will totally shred a leather wrapped heel. Then, several years ago I found these heel thingies that keep you from sinking into stuff, gravel, dirt, etc. They protect your shoes AND they keep you from having to balance on your toes for the entire event. Most drugstores carry them now.

An Ounce of Prevention
If I have shoes that rub a little, I use Dr. Scholl’s Blister Defense. (Also convenient for when you’re wearing flats!) It's in stick form and you just glide it on your feet wherever your shoes rub. They make a lady version now called “Rub Relief” and Band-Aid brand makes something too. If you have a pair of shoes that rub in one spot, like a specific toe, you can put a small piece of adhesive moleskin on your foot, or the shoe, to protect yourself from a major blister. If the shoes are too tight or too open for a patch of moleskin, you could also use liquid bandage on your foot to form a barrier. It won’t last forever, but it should help. And just in case you do end up with a blister, carry a band-aid or two in your bag. Even if you can see the bandage around your shoe, it’s better than being miserable and making the blister worse.

In Case of Shoemergency
I don’t do the thing where you take your shoes off at a wedding (except maybe for a minute to do The Roger Rabbit to amuse my friends). I do not like to go home with dirty feet and I do not like to step in unidentified liquids barefoot. Also, my shoes are part of my outfit and I don’t take my outfit off until the party is over. If I’m not sure about the comfort level of my shoes, I bring a spare pair and leave them in the car. And, worst case, I have a pair of Footzie Rolls that I bring with me, but have yet to wear. Dr. Scholl’s also makes a version called Fast Flats, which are available in most drugstores. Unfortunately, roll up shoes still exceed the size constraints of most evening bags, so I keep those in the car too.

Hopefully, all these tips will help you be more comfortable in your shoes so you won’t ever get to the shoemergency situation. And if you do, hopefully you’ll be prepared. But as I said in the beginning, if your feet hurt, you’re not going to be happy, so if that means going barefoot, then so be it. No reason for shoes, or etiquette, to ruin your good time!

No comments:

Post a Comment