June 2, 2011

Summer vs My Hair: Part 1


Ready or not, summer weather is here. Tagging along with the lovely Heat is her frenemy, Humidity. No one likes having her around, but she always shows up anyway, acting like Heat’s BFF and making everyone uncomfortable. Then people start complaining about the Heat, but it’s totally not her fault! It’s the stinking Humidity!

Since it’s been so hot and humid, I have had less than no interest in heat styling my hair. Mostly, I’ve been sporting a nonstop topknot, except for occasions where I need a hairdo that will accommodate a sun hat or bike helmet. That’s when I switch to low piggie-buns or a side braid. (PS. Nonstop Topknot is the new name of my imaginary band.) Anyway, after my second shower of the day, it’s usually cool enough to wear my hair down, but definitely not cool enough to fire up the blow dryer. Unfortunately, when my hair air-dries with no product it gets frizzy (cue the topknot), so I am looking for a frizz-fighting superstar that will let me be lazy and still have pretty hair.

The frizz-fighting game has gone silicone-free, and there are a lot of new products out there. I decided to try L’Oreal’s Eversleek Frizz Taming Crème Serum, which promises 48-hour frizz control. It’s part of their Sulfate-Free Smoothing System, but I didn’t buy the whole line, just the serum.


The first thing I noticed was the scent. It sent me back in time, and what immediately came to mind was Debbie Gibson Electric Youth Perfume. It might not be an exact match, but it’s really close. Not that I ever wore that stuff! (I totally wore that stuff.)

The bottle says: “After using EverSleek Shampoo and Conditioner, dispense 1-2 pumps into palms and work evenly through wet hair focusing on the ends. Do not rinse. Style as usual.” I read it as “Blah blah blah blah 1-2 pumps on wet hair and work through”. So that’s what I did, and then I let it air dry. And the results I got came to the grand total of ZERO. I tried it twice and got the same results both times, which was: no results. You can also use this stuff on dry hair to tame flyaways. Well, you could try. That didn’t work well for me either.

Maybe you really need to use their special shampoo and conditioner too? I used my regular sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner. Usually, I think companies just say you need to use their stuff to sell more product. I guess it could be necessary; I can’t really imagine it making that much of a difference though. Maybe if you blow dry your hair it would work better, but that’s not what I’m looking for. If anyone’s ever tried this, comment below and let us know what you think. From my experience, I can’t recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment