June 28, 2011

Sticky Sunscreen


You might have heard me say that the only safe tan is a fake tan. You might have read my posts about self-tanners and bronzers. You might remember that I always sit under an umbrella, wearing a hat.
Well.
What happens if the day is overcast and really windy so you don't bring an umbrella? It’s about to rain. It’s about to rain. It’s about to rain. But then it doesn’t rain. What happens if you spend the day playing girls vs. boys bocce on the beach (and winning) and also laying around on a blanket engaging in witty banter and guessing how many minutes it will be before it starts to rain? What happens if you realize you’re really staying out too long unprotected, so you do a quick spray of sunscreen and then keep staying on the beach for too long because it keeps not raining? What happens is: you get sunburn.
Thankfully, I always wear sunscreen on my face, and was wearing the strongest one I have. I was also wearing a hat. Though it was more of a fedora than a sun hat, it did the job. I was mostly facing away from where I thought the sun was… somewhere behind those big black clouds. Still, I ended up with sunburn on the tops of my feet, behind my knees, and a weird patch on my back that I missed with the spray. It wasn’t a terrible sunburn, it stung for a few days but it didn’t peel. What really stung was knowing that I know better, and that it could have been prevented.
Since I got the sunburn in the beginning of my trip, I had to take extra precautions when I returned to the beach. I had brought two solid sunscreen sticks with me. Solar Sense Clear Zinc Stick, SPF 50 and Neutrogena Healthy Defense Oil-Free Sunblock Stick SPF 30. Both promised to be non-greasy, broad-spectrum, sweat-proof, water-proof, anti-oxidant, and other assorted hyphenated things.
The first day after the burn, I used the Clear Zinc, because it was SPF 50. I applied it to the tops of my feet and the backs of my knees before I hit the beach. (I also applied SPF 30 to my whole body before putting on my bikini.) The zinc wasn’t exactly clear, but it was pretty close to it. I was able to rub it in easily enough. A few hours and another winning bocce game later, I was wondering why I had a patch of sand stuck behind each knee and remembered the zinc. Zinc is a physical (as opposed to chemical) sunscreen. I guess in a way it created an additional physical barrier out of sand too, but I do NOT like sand stuck to me, so I washed it off and applied some spray in it’s place. I also stayed in the shade when I could, which was when I was not in the ocean or helping the girl's team win at bocce.
The second day I tried the Neutrogena stick. I applied before I went out, and the product was completely clear and smooth. This gave me the confidence to swipe it on my husband’s nose and across his cheeks, which he complained about, but allowed. I think it was light enough that he forgot about it pretty quickly. I had the same problem with the sand sticking to me, so once again, I rinsed off my legs and just applied regular sunscreen.
While I wouldn’t recommend either of these sticks for using on your legs or feet if you’re going to be in the sand, you really can’t beat the convenience of the stick. Also, it turns out the zinc stick is only meant to be used on your face, ears, nose and lips. Another case of me not reading the packaging until I start writing my post! Still, if it wasn't so sticky I'm sure it would be fine. The Neutrogena would be great on your face if you’re not wearing makeup, and if you’re not prone to breakouts. Both sticks claim they won’t clog pores, but I don’t trust that 100%. If you’re exercising, or just sweating a lot, both of these promise not to run into your eyes, which I believe. They seem to have very good staying power. It would also be good for kids, who aren’t likely to want to wear a hat. I really don’t think I’d apply it full face, just nose, tops of cheeks, maybe forehead… the areas that tend to need extra protection.
Anyway, if you decide to use one of these, or something else, I've said it before, and we all know it: Always remember to wear sunscreen! Unless it's ACTUALLY raining.

No comments:

Post a Comment