June 16, 2011

Stealth Gray Convertible



I found my Stila Convertible Eye Color in Slate after spending a long time in Sephora poring over all the options for gray eyeliner with a built in blending tip. It needed to be dark gray, with no sparkles, and the blender had to be SOFT. After “forever,” I decided that Stila had the best one, so I scooped it up and was on my way.

But wait, there’s more!

I loved my blendy-gray eyeliner so much, I thought I should get another one in black. And so I did, except in Stila-land, black is called “Onyx.” Here is the funny thing: I didn’t even realize these pencils have a secret built in eye shadow until I was about to buy my second one. When I looked it up on Sephora.com I read about the shadow part, then ran to my makeup cabinet and grabbed the gray Stila pencil. Sure enough, there was an eye shadow hiding in there! (For like a year!!!) I had assumed “convertible” meant you could smudge the liner enough to use it as a shadow. Now I’m not sure what they mean by “convertible.”

The Slate pencil has Slate eye shadow inside it. The Onyx pencil has shimmery white. It doesn’t seem to have a fancy name, but if it did, I bet it would be called “Mica.” While the Slate shadow looks pretty good as a shadow, I think the “Mica” is better suited for highlighting inner corners, brow bone, etc. Sometimes white eye shadow shows up weird in pictures, so use it carefully. Also to be used carefully: the Onyx eye pencil. Since it’s meant to be smudge-able, it’s very soft. It’s also very black. The Slate pencil, however, is pretty much fool-proof. That’s kind of the great thing about gray eyeliner.

Gray is good for a casual look, when you want a little definition but don’t want to be very eyelinery. Though when you DO want to be eyelinery, I sure love me some black eyeliner! But black may be too intense for some people, depending on both personal style and coloring. Gray is a good alternative. The other nice thing (best thing?) is that because gray is more subtle, it’s super fast! I just dot/dash the liner along my top and bottom lash lines, smudge it with the very soft, punkahontas-approved blending tip, and then put on some mascara. Tah-dah! It takes about one minute. Two if you curl your lashes.

Please read the following in a lady-newscaster voice:
 This "convertible," is fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment