March 22, 2011

Sweet! DIY Sugar Body Scrub


Winter has been very long, and very cold, to the surprise of no one. Now that we have extra daylight, and are treated to the occasional warm day, it’s time to make some preparations for spring. We need to get ready to break free from our sweater cocoons, and I’d rather emerge a beautiful butterfly than a dusty old moth.

Let’s save our dollars for some spring clothes (and maybe a little makeup), and make our own body scrub to cast off the dry skin of winter. Like a snake! (Not at all like a snake.)

I’ve been doing this one for awhile now, and have already shared the recipe with some of my friends. But now I can share it with the whole wide world! Aren’t you happy I started this blog? Meee tooooo!

The most expensive ingredient is the body oil, and considering how many batches of body scrub you can make with one bottle, it’s still pretty economical. I use Orange Blossom Body Body Oil, by a brand called Plantlife. I got mine at the natural foods store in my neighborhood, but you can buy it online. It smells AMAZING. It’s a perfect scent for spring, or really, for wishing-for-spring. I actually opened the bottle at least four times and sniffed it while writing this post. You can get whatever you want, but try to get something natural, with essential oils. It’s totally worth it.

The other ingredients are both sugar. Turbinado sugar for scrubbiness, and plain old granulated sugar to make it not too scrubby. You can easily find turbinado sugar in the grocery store, the most popular brand is called Sugar In The Raw. Or, you can steal the little packets from Starbucks. I bet it takes about a dozen. Either way, simply get these ingredients and mix them together.

1/4c. Turbinado Sugar
2 tbs. Granulated Sugar
2 tbs. Body Oil

This makes enough for one good neck-to-toe scrubbing. I don’t recommend using it on your face. You can double, triple, quadruple the batch, whatever. I’ve never kept it for longer than a week or two, but it’s not going to spoil if all the ingredients are shelf-stable. I use it at the end of the shower, after the shampooing, soaping and shaving is done, otherwise you’ll just wash off the moisturizing oil and the delicious smell. And I shouldn’t have to tell you not to bring a glass jar with you into the tub, right? Use plastic even though it doesn’t look as cute. We need those toes for pedicures.

1 comment:

  1. sugar scrubs are also good to use after you get your arms or legs waxed (and probably other areas too), to prevent ingrown hairs.

    ReplyDelete