March 29, 2011

Your Face in High Def




Make Up For Ever is running what they say are the first ever make up ads without any retouching. (Notarized and all!) In order to be able to make this claim, they couldn’t even retouch the stuff that really needs it, like the mysterious white powder on her elbow. Or how her arm looks a little lumpy and weird due to the angle and lighting. Plus her armpit! Ugh. In fact, all the ads have too much armpit. Maybe next time put the girls in shirts with sleeves, Wardrobe Stylist! But: her face looks great. Part of the reason could be that the girl is probably 17 and is definitely a model who looks a lot like Blake Lively. Still, it’s pretty impressive!

But then, I’ve been a fan for a while now. I’ve been using Make Up Forever’s HD Foundation, Primer and Powder for a few years, and I recently bought the Full Cover Concealer too, as a present to my pimples. I’m really happy with all of it, and have no plans to stray… unless some kind of awesome new technology comes out. (Like that airbrush thing, which is a great idea but not exactly portable.)

Of course, I tried a bunch of stuff before finding Make Up For Ever. For a couple of years, I was using a MAC foundation compact applied with a kabuki-style brush. But I felt like it might be making me break out, and I was craving something new, so I tried the mineral stuff. It was all the rage at the time, and I was with Bare Escentuals for a while. Bought the starter kit, watched the DVD, got a supplemental brush, plus a blush and a concealer-type eye thing. I really liked the smooth pore-less look of the mineral makeup, but I felt like it was settling into my fine lines even though it was supposed to NOT do that. Plus, it always made a mess on my bathroom counter. Next, I decided to go more traditional and tried Laura Mercier foundation in both the regular and oil free varieties, but it felt too heavy. The tinted moisturizer is nice enough, and I’ll continue using that until it runs out, but it doesn’t provide enough coverage for most occasions. (I think I will begin research on a new tinted moisturizer as the summer approaches. Comment below if you have suggestions! Maybe Bobbi Brown?)

I was really excited when Make Up For Ever launched their HD line, and I got samples of the HD Invisible Cover Foundation from Sephora in two or three different shades so I could try them at home and in daylight. (This is a good tip, no matter what brand you’re into.) They gave me enough to try each color on my whole face at least twice, so I could really see which one worked the best for me. I also got a couple samples of the primers. Once I had the winners, I bought a full size bottle of foundation, plus travel sizes of the HD Microfinish Powder and HD Microperfecting Primer, just to put them through their paces a little more before committing. Actually, I still buy the travel size of the Primer, because it’s more convenient and the larger size doesn’t offer a value. But I eventually bought the Powder in regular size, so I can save the little one for travel. And THEN I bought this powder brush, because I needed it, and also I “NEEEDED” it. I guess you can see how I attained my V.I.B. status with Sephora.

The whole HD collection is meant to give a “soft-focus” effect that will stand up to bright lights and flash photography, while still looking natural/invisible IRL. It’s definitely the best I’ve found. As cameras are getting better and we continue to plaster photos of each other on facebook, it only makes sense that we get ready for our close-up. It’s coming whether we’re ready or not.

1 comment: