March 16, 2011

Awww... You're Making Me Blush!



Stila Custom Color Blush claims that it is “the first-ever pH-based powder that takes the guesswork out of picking the perfect shade.” Word is still out on whether or not it is strong enough for a man, though it is obviously made for a woman. Since I had been searching for the perfect shade, (along with the perfect everything) for quite some time, I decided to give it a shot.
I’ll start by explaining what I was looking for in “the perfect shade”. I was trying to find the color of my natural flush, which is obviously hard to pinpoint unless you run a mile to the makeup store, frantically grab a salesperson, and scream “CAN YOU HELP ME FIND ME A BLUSH THAT MATCHES THE COLOR OF MY FACE RIGHT NOW?!?” And I still don’t know if that would really work. You should definitely try that though.

I chose a trial and error approach. I was loyal to MAC cosmetics for a long time, so that’s where I started. (I felt safe trying on their makeup, and hadn’t yet learned of Sephora’s awesome return policy.) I tried Dollymix and Pink Swoon, which were nice enough but nothing special. I also bought a pretty cream blush in a shade called Posey, but I really prefer using a powder. With three pinks, plus the Nars Orgasm that I already had (which is great, but not for always), I was feeling product overload and took a break from my search. Then recently, I read about Stila’s Custom Color Blush, and it sounded like exactly what I was looking for. But could it really work?
And how does it work? They say it reacts to skintone and and individual pH to create a perfect, personalized shade. (Remember Mood Lipstick?! That stuff was hideous.) I visited the Stila website to try find more, but they only explained how the product diffuses light. (Spoiler alert: It’s because the powder was treated with a spherical silicone elastomer. Duh.) The pH part must be too complicated for us to wrap our pretty little heads around. Or maybe they know that we care more about IF it works than we do about HOW it works.
I can give you an answer on the IF. My “research” (doing jumping jacks, then inspecting my face in the mirror and trying to memorize the color) shows that this is the best match I’ve found. Like the Clinique Chubby Sticks I wrote about yesterday, this stuff is just PRETTY. You could even call it sweet. No sparkles, just lovely, natural color.  But, again, not so natural that it’s pointless. An important thing to note: The blush is crazy-pink in the compact, and will get crazy-pink on your face if you’re not careful. It may adapt to your skin to turn the perfect color, but it can’t regulate how much of that perfect color to give you. Use a light hand, and build.
Can it magically find the perfect shade for you too? I don’t know, but I’m going to go with: Probably. If you’ve tried this product, comment below and let us know what you think. For me it worked. I don’t know how it does it, but it does it, and it's... perfect.

1 comment:

  1. I love this blog! Congrats and thanks Jill for starting it :)

    ReplyDelete