March 9, 2011

My Mia vs My Milia



One of the things I’ve spent a lot of time researching online is Milia. Primarily: How to prevent them. My dermatologist had already explained how to get rid of them. It involves either getting them cut out of your face, or applying Retin-A over the course of however long it takes the little sucker to come to the surface and roll away. This is why prevention is key.

For preventing milia, the general consensus is that an ounce of exfoliation is worth a pound of cure. And when I say “an ounce” I mean “a shit ton”. I need to do it every day, and with gusto!

Enter Clarisonic. There was a story that Clarisonic started producing skincare brushes after hearing about people using their electric toothbrushes to scrub their faces. Whether or not that’s true, (I bet it’s true) this thing is basically a big electric toothbrush.

The exceedingly long-named Clarisonic Sonic Skin Cleansing Systems come in four sizes and a bunch of colors. The Mia has nine color choices, almost guaranteeing that one will be your favorite color and you’ll have to buy it. The fanciest/most expensive is the Pro model, then there is a Face/Body option called Plus. Then comes the Classic, and finally, the adorable Mia. Personally, I opted for the smallest and least expensive model, the Mia, which at $145 is not IN-expensive. I don’t have a lot of space, and I really feel like one speed of sonic cleansing is fine for me.

There is also a choice for brush heads, which come in three varities: Delicate, Sensitive, and Normal. The Mia come with the Sensitive brush head, which is great. When it was time to replace my brush head, I decided to try the Normal style, and it’s just a little too much for me. Not harsh, but just not as pleasant. I’ll be going back to Sensitive. (You’re supposed to replace the brush head every 3 months.) And speaking of pleasant, it feels really nice to give your face a little scrubby massage. Plus, you’re like: “Attention stuff in my pores: GET OUT!”

I use my Mia daily, in the shower, with Murad’s AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser. I have only one milium left. It’s on my eyelid though, where my exfoliation obsession fears to tread. I can say that I haven’t gotten any new milia since I started using this, which is exactly what I was going for. But will scrubbing your face with a Clarisonic prevent you from having pimples ever again? No. Mia is not magic, it just feels that way.

1 comment:

  1. Electric gadgets have made our lives so easy and an electric toothbrush is definitely one of these inventions.
    It has made tooth-cleaning so easy and fun!

    ReplyDelete