February 28, 2012

Labbra di Lusso

 

I’ve written before about the joy I get from a fancy lip balm. My go-to has been Fresh Sugar Rosé for quite some time now. It’s been enough time that I thought I might mix it up a little.

I had heard about (and continued to hear about) Olio Lusso, the amazing and expensive oil blend by Linda Rodin, an ex-model, stylist, skincare maven and 63-year-old-lady-who-is-definitely-way-cooler-than-me. Olio Lusso means “Luxury Oil” in Italian, and it’s a $150 blend of essential oils derived from flowers and other botanicals that are “legendary for their soothing, softening, glow-giving, emollient and protective properties.” It is a blend of legendary oils that I will not be able to experience in the foreseeable future. However! The promise of jasmine, neroli, and other magical oils was enough to get me to try their (relatively) more affordable lip balm as my new fancy lip treat.

Linda Rodin via Refinery 29

It made an impression immediately. The packaging was gorgeous! A nice white box made of really good paper stock, printed with black lettering, wrapped neatly in cellophane. It was simple and perfect. And that’s just the exterior packaging! The case is completely clear Lucite, printed again with perfect black lettering, and with a circle of lovely pink balm floating inside. It is somehow the exact right size, shape, and weight, as well.

The product itself is not as scented as I might have expected. I think it smells more like just “oil” than jasmine or neroli oils. The texture is oily as well, and not waxy at all. When your swirl your finger on the balm, it melts into a thin layer of oil to apply to your lips. The whole line of Olio Lusso products is based on oils, so it all makes sense, and the oils definitely do a nice job of moisturizing. The slightly shimmery pink color does not transer to lips, but the balm does leave behind a nice glossy shine.

It’s really, really nice. But to be honest, I don’t love using it. I love HAVING it. It’s gorgeous. I love opening the beautiful compact and applying it. I love how it looks sitting on my desk (or rather, standing up on it’s edge, to better appreciate the Lucite.) But I feel like it’s all for the eyes. I’m not getting an intoxicating scent, or a luxurious feel on my lips. I don’t think I’d buy it again, considering it was $30, even though it does seem like it will last a long time.

I do love how it looks, though. It honestly makes me happy just to look at it. I guess this is what you get when a designer writes what is primarily a beauty blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment