October 29, 2011

High(-price) Gloss


As I mentioned earlier this week, I’ve recently gotten some great free stuff from BzzAgent. One of the things I’m trying out for them right now is the Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Collection. They sent me full size bottles of shampoo and conditioner, plus some little packets of styling cream to share. At this point, I’m on my third use (I only wash my hair twice a week) and feel like I have a good handle on wether or not $26 shampoo and matching $26 conditioner are worth it.

My first thought was: “No.”

My second thought was: “Probably not.”

My third thought was: “I mean, it’s nice and all but…”

And after that, well, you’ll see.

The Fekkai Glossing line sounds really great. “Renew shine, all day, minute by minute. Inspired by nature with its winning formula containing olive oil, Brilliant Glossing now features encapsulated technology that helps deliver even, reflective shine from root to tip, and refreshes your shine as you comb your hair for brilliant hair throughout the day.”

Sign. Me. Up.

The first thing I noticed, of course, was the smell. It smells FANCY. So there’s that. The bottles are pretty too, as far as shampoo bottles go. And it feels really nice when you’re washing your hair.

From the first time I used it, I noticed a difference in my hair. The thing about fancy shampoos, aside from their pretty bottles and pretty smells, is that they leave you with light, fluffy-feeling hair, like when you get it washed at a salon. I’m not really sure why that is, but it is.

My hair also felt significantly softer and silkier. For WEEKS I had been soaking my hair with coconut oil for a half hour before I washed it, and I didn’t get results like this. (Guess I won’t be writing a post about using coconut oil as a deep conditioner, like I had planned.)

But here is the problem: My hair FELT silky, but it still LOOKED frizzy. Even with my best blow-drying efforts. Even after using the Fekkai Glossing cream, carefully squeezed from one of the little sample packets BzzAgent sent me to share with my friends.

According to Fekkai, the Glossing cream is a “sheer styling cream with pure olive oil that helps eliminate frizz and adds moisture and shine to all hair types. For best results: Apply ‘pea size’ to damp or dry hair.” The first time I used it, I applied two “pea sizes” to damp hair, since my hair is so long. My hair seemed to be separating at the ends, so the second time I went with one pea on slightly less-damp hair. That worked better, go fig, I bet that’s why they put it in the directions. Still, though: Frizz. I mean, I could smooth it out with curlers or the flat iron, but I was really hoping to skip the hot tools.

By the time I was ready for my third wash, I was through messing around. I added an extra step: my tried and true Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum applied to wet hair. Then the blow dry, and THEN the Glossing Cream (ONE PEA!) on dry hair. And that, my friends, is the ticket.

Wondering if I was just missing one piece of puzzle, I looked to see if the Fekkai Glossing line offered a serum of some sort, but the only thing they have is a shine mist. I already have two different kinds of shine mist, or as I call it, shine SPRAY. But for me, it’s the serum that makes all the difference. (FYI, Fekkai does make a serum, it’s just not part of the Glossing line. It’s part of the intriguing “Silky Straight Ironless” collection.) Anyway, with a little extra help from Paul Mitchell, my hair is silky AND shiny. I couldn’t keep my hands out of it when I finished.

Then, last night, my husband told me my hair smelled nice. I told him it was a new shampoo. He said he liked it. I said “It’s $26!” He said “It’s worth it.”

Facepalm.

No comments:

Post a Comment