October 7, 2011

Drop Pick Up The F-Bomb


I really can’t remember the last time red lipstick wasn’t a “top trend for fall.” I feel like every fashion mag says it every year, like it’s a new thing. It’s not a new thing, it’s kind of never been a new thing, but there is always a new red lipstick. And this year, for me, the new red lipstick isn’t even a lipstick at all. It’s a lip… stick.

Okay, technically it’s a very creamy “sumptuously pigmented lip pencil.” But to me, it’s a combination of lipstick and lip liner. That’s what if feels like when you apply it, that’s the way you apply it, and that’s how it acts after you apply it.

The color is F-Bomb and the product is Urban Decay Super-Saturated High Gloss Lip Color.

F-Bomb is cooler shade of red, but it’s definitely a RED red. Not an orangey red or a pinky red, or a dark red or a sheer red. When you wear this, the message is: RED! (Did I mention that it’s red? It’s RED.) I don’t really feel like it’s so red that it’s overpowering though. I feel like it’s exactly the right amount of powering.

It’s shiny, which is kind of amazing coming from a pencil. I’ve decided my lips are too small for matte lip color, so I appreciate the glossiness here. It’s almost a tiny bit metallic, but not glittery or shimmery. I can’t find a single sparkle when I look, but something about it adds serious dimension to your lips.

The texture is kind of fascinating. It’s not like anything else I’ve tried, and it’s really, really GREAT. It goes on very thin and very smooth. It feels sheer, but it’s totally opaque. Since it’s so highly pigmented, you can just apply a single layer. You can barely feel it on your lips, but your lips don’t feel dry at all. I think the reason it stays on so well is because it’s such a thin layer and it really clings to your lips.

Oh, yes. All of the above AND it stays put!

For me, wearing red lipstick used to mean: Lip Spackle, lip liner, lipstick, blot, lipstick, finger-trick, blot. With this, it’s just one, thin, super-saturated layer. If you’re a perfectionist (who me?) you can smooth the edges a little with a lip brush. If you are not a perfectionist, you can blur the edges a little with a Q-Tip. If my traditional method was a tailored sheath dress with foundation garments underneath, this stuff is a spandex unitard. But it won’t ride up.

The risky thing about wearing red lipstick is that it could get someplace you don’t want it. Confidence is very important when wearing bold lip color, and you don’t want to worry about having red smudges on your teeth. This stuff, somehow, does not get on your teeth, even if you don’t do any blotting or that thing where you pull your finger between your lips. I stood in front of the mirror and made a bunch of faces, including curling my top lip inward to look like the “Cousin Larry” character from Perfect Strangers. My teeth stayed clean. AND white! (A red lipstick bonus, as if instant-glamour weren’t enough.)

I wore my F-Bomb to the last Hairpin meet-up, which is basically a lot of drinking, talking, and laughing. I got a ton of compliments, and I didn’t need to reapply the entire night. I did the trick where you only drink from one spot on your glass (which also keeps your glass from looking gross) but other than that, I didn’t worry about it. It’s just that awesome.

Eating, of course, is a different story. Depending on what and how you eat, you’re probably going to need to touch up after dessert. Also, once the product starts to break up, you do risk getting it on your teeth a little bit (especially if you do the “Cousin Larry” thing.) You could always just open your mouth really wide and toss the food in though. That’s generally an attractive look for most people.

I often make fun of the over-promise-y, overly-dramatic names they give cosmetics, but Urban Decay is right on the money here. This stuff is the F-ing Bomb.

No comments:

Post a Comment