October 5, 2011

Hey Bootiful!



Sally Hansen Salon Effects have gotten all Halloweeny! While I was at the drugstore this morning (I picked up a few things I’ll write about soon) I noticed a display of haunted nail polish strips. Ghosts, skulls & crossbones, red fishnet, a Frankenstein-y one called Hot Wired and, of course, spider webs. Actually, aside from the ghosts and the spider webs, these could be even better when it’s NOT Halloween. If there are any left on Nov.1, I might try to scoop some on sale.
Not to be outdone, Christmas, which arrives in stores earlier every year, also had a special display of Salon Effects. Interestingly, these are a harder to find online. If the internet is nothing else, it’s patient. (HA.) Most of the designs are pretty sweatery: plaid, argyle (again, even better when it’s not the holiday season!) and a snow-flakey fair-isle pattern, then there’s a candy cane stripe and dark glittery one called Winter Fun-derland that I’m kind of wishing I bought when I saw it.
While you probably won’t see me with little ghosts on my nails, a lot of the new patterns are pretty nice, especially when taken out of the holiday-specific context. I’m glad to see they are coming out with new designs, and hope they keep it up. I’m absolutely dying for a super shiny metallic gold, and have my finger(nail)s crossed they’ll make one soon.

I just remembered a funny Halloween costume my friend did a million years ago. She was Sally Hanson. She had a bleached-blond fake mustache and press-on nails and wore  one of those  Gunne Sax dresses from the 80s (which were easy to find at Goodwill in the 90s) and, as I remember it, nude hose and white pumps. It was really perfect at the time, but Sally has certainly come a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment