May 3, 2011

Shattered!


I’ve finally tracked down some of OPI’s Shatter effect nail polish! Maybe not exactly tracked it down, but I finally found it in stock at one of the places I’ve been looking (for months), Ricky’s.

I’ve seen ads for black, white, and silver Shatter, but Ricky’s also had red and blue. I googled images of nails sporting Shatter, and with the red and blue it kind of just looks like your nail polish is chipping, so that’s a N-O for me. In my opinion, the white also just looked really weird. Almost like eggshells? As if something crazy was about to hatch out of your fingernails. It would have maayyyybe been cute for Easter, if you like themed manicures. The silver one seems okay, but I like the black best. It turns any color into some sort of crazy animal print, especially over a metallic. It’s like… Space Leopard!

What worked best for me was applying kind of a thick coat. (The polish itself is a little gloppy, so be ready for that.) If you go over the same area more than once, it makes the shattered pieces smaller. Might be cool if you are going for a faux bois effect, but otherwise it’s not as dramatic. My right hand, usually the slightly less neat one, in this case looks WAY better than the left hand because I didn’t mess with it too much. It’s almost like it’s better if you don’t try to be too perfect. And then you just watch it shatter “before your very eyes.”

I’m pretty sure this is the fastest and easiest way to add a fun pattern to your nails. I would say this is the Freezy Freakies of nail polish, except that I recently heard of a nail polish that changes color when you dip your hands in cold water. So technically THAT is the Freezy Freakies of nail polish. This is like… Shrinky Dinks? No, not really. It’s like something though, and that something is COOL. Watch!


 The finish is matte, which you can see in the video, but I put a coat of Seche Vite on top afterward to make it super glossy. Rawr!

2 comments:

  1. That is pretty cool! Crazy timing...10 minutes before your post, my hair salon posted on facebook that they have black and silver Shattered in stock. I was curious as to what they were talking about...and now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect! Yeah, I can see why they made the announcement. I had a really hard time finding it in stock anywhere, and when I looked online it was always like $5 shipping. (Though the one I just linked to on Amazon is on sale and has $3 shipping.) Maybe if my blog gets famous I'll get advance samples, so I can spread the word earlier!

    ReplyDelete