May 23, 2011

I Dropped My Plucking Tweezers. Again.


I don’t want to brag or anything, but I’m like, really, REALLY good at dropping tweezers. I could probably go pro, or at least semi-pro, if I didn’t spend so much time writing this blog. The problem is, much like a marathoner will likely wear out their knees, if you drop your tweezers on the bathroom tile enough times (or just once, really perfectly) you will damage them and they won’t work anymore. Just the tiniest nick in one of the blades will render them useless. It’s extra great if you do this after you’ve neglected your eyebrows for a while, and need to clean them up before you go out someplace nice. That’s really the best time to do it.

I buy Tweezerman tweezers, because they are good and because they are readily available from Ricky’s or Sephora. My husband refers to this brand as TWEE-zer-MAAAAN! Evoking a superhero with amazing plucking powers. I have bought things for sillier reasons.

I can remember my first pair like it was yesterday. They were neon pink, because if I’m spending $20+ on Tweezers, they might as well be “exciting” tweezers. They were also easy to spot in my cluttered makeup cabinet. When I wrecked those, I thought I would just send them back to Tweezerman, because they offer a lifetime guarantee and free sharpening. However, it turns out that’s only for damage due to normal use, not Olympic-level dropping. If the blades are damaged, they charge $5. Plus shipping. Plus 4-6 weeks. I cannot go 4-6 weeks without my tweezers.

So I bought another pair, in glossy black. If I was smart, I would have sent that pink pair in to be serviced, so I would have a backup. But, well. Anyway. The glossy black ones served me well for quite some time, but inevitably they were dropped one time too many. Having learned my lesson, this time I will send them to Tweezerman (TWEE-zer-MAAAN!) to get fixed, and upon their return they will be my spare pair. Their website says they will now need an extra two weeks to sharpen tweezers, since they are in the process of moving their facility. So, 6-8 weeks then. See you in a few months, black tweezers! Have a great summer!

Obviously, I needed a new pair right away (or earlier, if possible) so I went to my neighborhood Ricky’s. They had lime green, zebra, and like… I don’t know. Giraffe or something. Not a great selection, even though they had a giant Tweezerman display. I guess they hadn’t been restocked in awhile. But I was desperate so I went with zebra. When I got up to the counter to pay for them, I noticed a display of Betsey Johnson co-branded Tweezerman Tweezers! Woo-hoo! I had my choice between black with Marilyn Monroe, neon pink with skulls, or white with black and pink roses. The old me would have gone straight for the skulls, but the current me (which is actually older me) was torn between the skulls and the roses. The sales girl told me to get the roses, with no explanation, so I did. I loves them.

No comments:

Post a Comment