May 17, 2011

Expensive Deodorant. So What?


Sometimes, when I return something, I end up buying something else that I normally wouldn’t have, because I feel like I have “free money”, which I definitely, definitely, do not have. Still, that’s how I ended up spending $18 for an antiperspirant.

I had been checking out Fresh’s Sugar Roll-On at Sephora for quite some time, much like I did with the Sugar Rosé Lip Treatment. It smelled great, but was it really worth $18? As far as I could tell, there was only one way to find out.

I am basically always on the market for a new deodorant, because I have yet to find one that I really like. I have a thing about fragrance, or “smells” as you might have picked up if you read the Shave-a-Colada post. I especially hate all the fruity smelling lady products on the market these days. It used to be limited to lotions, soaps and body gels, but now there is Raspberry Rain Shaving Cream and Mystic Melon Deodorant. Granted, those might be made for teenage girls, or sassy ladies who want their antiperspirant to come with a glittery label, but still. I know most brands make a Shower Fresh or Powder Fresh variety, or both! But, it’s like: Yes, Secret. You’re right. I don’t want to smell like my nice perfume. I want to smell Powder Fresh.

Aside from the smell, it also has to “work good.” I use antiperspirant-deodorants because I don’t like being sweaty unless I’m working out. I’ve been through Degree, Secret, Ban, Mitchum, etc and didn’t find anything I really liked. Some of the clinical strength stuff is unscented, but clinical strength? I feel like that’s a bit of overkill, for my particular pits. And I’ve tried unscented in regular strength too, but I haven’t found one that is unscented and also works well. In an effort to reduce my exposure to chemicals, I even tried a couple of natural deodorants. NO GO. I just couldn’t deal with that amount of naturalness (sweat). So I’ve been suffering along with my Mitchum Powder Fresh, which is mostly inoffensive and it works.

Anyway, one day at Sephora I decided I was going to splurge. On deodorant! (Technically antiperspirant-deodorant). And I’m glad I did. It smells like sugar, lemons, and awesome. Then, it goes away. Leaving me to smell like whatever I want to smell like. (Most days I prefer not to smell like food.) It’s a liquid roll-on, so it doesn’t leave a thick coating under my arms. It doesn’t rub off on my clothes. And it keeps me dry, even through my workouts. I am officially a fan. Is it worth $18? It depends what you appreciate and what pisses you off. For me, it’s worth it. A bottle of deodorant lasts kind of a long time. Plus, I love it every time I use it, instead of being vaguely annoyed with it. My deodorant is no longer… wait for it… the pits!

2 comments:

  1. Whoa, I had never even considered this, but I want to smell sugar, lemons and awesome next time I want to put on deodorant too! I find whatever Dove scent I chose overpowering every time I put it on but I just do it. Totally getting this next time I have $18 burning a hole in my pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! That's the thing. The "fragrances" are so overpowering and fakey. This smells nice and fresh (go fig) and then just goes away.

    ReplyDelete