September 10, 2012

Fall Flat

 
Have you done any fall shopping yet? I’m usually all over it, but I’m off to a slow start this year. Or maybe, it’s a “good” start, because I’m trying to carefully consider every purchase, and only buy and keep things I really love.

That said, I wore my new red flats on Friday, and I love them.

A few weeks ago, I wrote about about my leopard “Speakup” flats from Nine West, but I don’t think I’ve told you about my Fryes. I really love Frye shoes, but until now my experience has mostly been with boots. (Boots! Forever!) Then I saw the Regina Studded Ballet in Red, which is one of my favorite colors of shoes to wear, and it was love at first sight.

The prictag is a bit higher than the Speakups. Fine, A LOT higher, but it’s very obvious in the quality. Plus, for some reason Nine West refuses to make a decent red flat.

Anyway, this sounds insane, but when I took them out for their maiden voyage, my first thought was: “These feel like a friendly handshake.” And then I thought: “Is that weird?” And then I confirmed: “Yes.”

But it is also 100% true; that is exactly what they feel like. The leather is soft, but it’s still sturdy. (No limp-fish handshake!) They feel like they’ll last a long time, and trust me, I am HARD on my shoes. After a little bit, you get used to feeling like you're walking around with someone’s hands cradling your feet. It's actually very comfortable. They are not particularly cushiony, but I think they have above-average cushioning for a ballet flat. Plus, a rubber sole makes so much of a difference! Love love love a rubber sole.

I ran errands around Manhattan for four hours on Friday. I guess about 40 minutes of that was riding the train, but I was standing, so it still counts. My left foot was comfortable the entire time, but there was a spot rubbing on my right heel for the last hour or so. It didn’t leave a blister, it was just sore and a little pink and dry. Not bad for the first time out!

I’m pretty sure I found “the item I can’t live without” this fall. I know they'll be “a wardrobe staple” even though they were a bit of "an investment piece.” I “want them in every color.” (HAH.)

No comments:

Post a Comment