August 22, 2012

Toning For Teetotalers


A few weeks ago I mentioned my trip to Christine Chin for a torture/facial appointment, after which she made me promise to start using a moisturizing toner. She stressed that it had to be ALCOHOL-FREE. Christine didn’t push her products on me, and I told her I was sure I had an alcohol-free toner at home.

I didn’t.


I wish I had bought some from Christine, because a moisturizing toner was exactly what I needed in the days recovering from my facial. I had a travel size bottle of CaudalĂ­e Beauty Elixer, which I had bought recently and only spritzed a few times. I was able to return that one, luckily. I also had an almost empty bottle of Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist, which I was positive was alcohol-free. It wasn’t. And then I had the pretty bottle of orange flower water from my friend Jen. It didn’t have any ingredients listed, but since I had been informed my skin was too dry, I figured it must not have been doing the trick either. I did use it in the meantime though.

I read a bunch of reviews online, then went to Sephora to try some out. An SA interrupted me and offered her assistance. I told her I was looking for a moisturizing toner; it had to be alcohol-free. She informed me that all toners have alcohol, and that what I was looking for was called a lotion. (Which I personally think is MORE confusing, because they are way more toner-y than lotion-y.) Even if English isn’t her first language, I trust Christine Chin more than some girl at Sephora, though some of the bottles do call the product “lotion.” Others say “hydrating toner”and still others just make up their own names altogether.

Whatever it’s called, the one I chose was A Perfect World, from Origins.In my opinion, a perfect world is decidedly not alcohol-free, but the product from Origins is. It got good reviews, was in an acceptable price range ($22), and smelled fantastic.

You apply it morning and night after cleansing, but before moisturizing, and it hydrates and “helps surround skin in an age-defending protective bubble.” I want one of those bubbles for my whole body! One I can ride around in!

It’s moisturizing, soothing, refreshing and it definitely makes my skin feel softer and more hydrated. (Hydration = Key To Youth, as far as I can tell.) I felt like I was wasting too much product by applying it with cotton pads, so I started just splashing some on with my hands. That felt really inefficient too, so I decanted some of it into a small spray bottle. The mister makes it even more refreshing, and it’s feels much nicer to gently pat the product in with my fingertips than to rub cotton across my cheeks. Plus I save on cotton rounds! Though I was worried about waste, it’s a pretty decent sized bottle for the price. I bought my first in the beginning of May, and I will be buying my second in another few weeks, so for me and mr. mister, it was like a 4 month supply. I don’t know if it would have lasted that long using cotton.

The scent is so great! Fresh and a little green, though that just might be my eyes getting in the way of my nose. A little citrusy. It smells so good, I almost want to take a sip. When I accidentally sprayed a little in my mouth the other day, it did taste kind of nice. It has no parabens, sulfates, synthetic frangraces, dyes, petrochemicals, phthalates, GMOs or tricolosan, so you would probably be okay if you took a swig, even though you (probably) shouldn’t. To be honest, I could almost imagine it in a cocktail with a little gin or vodka, you know… alcohol.

No comments:

Post a Comment