May 18, 2012

Eye Think Eye Like It


The final installment of unofficial Neutrogena week is my review of their Nourishing Eyeliner. As I mentioned earlier in the week, all this Neutrogena stuff was sent to me by BzzAgent.com, free of charge, with the hope that I would share my honest opinion with you. As if they could stop me!

First of all, the idea of a “nourishing” eyeliner is something I’m unfamiliar with. Though I have to say, I kind of dig the Makeup+ trend we’ve been seeing these days. I don’t know if all the products live up to all the claims, but at least they’re trying?

This eyeliner has olive oil and “rainforest shea butter” which is where all the nourishing allegedly comes from. More interesting to me though, is their claim that “subtle light diffusers” make the whites of your eyes appear whiter. I actually have noticed the whites of my eyes being less white, because A. I am insane and B. aging is awesome!

The color they sent me is Cosmic Black, because there is truly nothing better than black eyeliner. However, it’s also offered in Brushed Pewter, Spiced Chocolate, and Twilight Blue. (A.K.A. Gray, Brown, and Blue.)

Before I even tried the eyeliner, these are the things that I liked immediately: It has a built in smudger that is shaped really nicely and has the perfect texture, plus it’s black, so it won’t look dirty all the time. All the caps fit securely, AND, the eyeliner has a secret built-in sharpener, which I bet a lot of eyeliners have and their owners don’t even know about. I know they’ve surprised me before.

The packaging promises it won’t smudge or fade, which I assume means it won’t smudge after you’re done smudging it on purpose, otherwise that perfect smudger is pretty pointless.

When I actually applied it, I found that it smudges really easily at first, almost to the point where the smudger acted as an eraser. Then, fairly quickly, it sets, and it won’t smudge anymore. That’s when the staying power kicks in. You have to time it just right, but it’s still pretty easy. I would just do one eye at a time so you don’t risk the first eye setting before you get around to smudging it.

While the pencil does a smudgy smokey look pretty easily, I wouldn’t recommend it for something that needs serious precision, like a cat eye. It’s also not quite as black as I like my black. (None more black.) At the same time, as a basic liner that’s not too harsh, it’s really good. And once that line sets, it does not smudge! Even if you try really hard to smudge it later because you did one lined eye and one smudgy eye while you were writing your blog post and now you look like a crazy person. The lined eye stays lined. It may fade a little if you rub it, but it won’t smudge.

Those “subtle light diffusers” they told us about, are actually tiny sparkles, which explains why this one is called “Cosmic Black.” The sparkles are really subtle though, I don’t think anyone would really notice. At the same time, I wouldn’t recommend lining your waterline with this product, because the sparkles might cause irritation. Do the light diffusers actually make the whites of my eyes whiter? They might, but again, it’s subtle. Cool colors around my eyes always brighten them a little because the coolness contrasts with the warm brown of my eyes. Still, the whites look pretty white, so that’s good.

Removal was fairly easy, though you might have a harder time with an oil-free eye makeup remover. (I use Clinique Take The Day Off)

I think this is a good liner for a makeup minimalist. The kind of girl who doesn’t wear or own a ton of cosmetics, but still likes to look pretty. It’s sort of… easy. It’s all there in one tool, it’s simple to use, and it stays where you put it. You’re probably not going to use it for some crazy dramatic look, but that’s not what Neutrogena is about.

No comments:

Post a Comment