August 19, 2011

Makeup That Also Isn’t


Do you know about BB Cream? When I first read about it, I was like “SERIOUSLY?” That sounds great, but how? And, really? (The first part out loud, the second and third parts in my head.) BB Cream is, apparently, magic.

Like many things, BB Cream, also called Beauty Balm or Blemish Balm, was all the rage in Asia first, and still is. It’s a combination of serum, moisturizer and sunscreen that also, somehow, hides imperfections. That’s where it gets tricky! Because it only comes in one color? I really didn’t see how it could possibly work, but I was dying to try it out.

Sephora recently offered a code to try one of three BB Creams, two from Dr. Jart+ and one from Boscia. (Use the code BBCREAM) After reading the reviews on the website, I decided to try Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF 25(Why does he have a + after his name? I don’t know! Because it looks cool? I kind of want one!) I think the line “like a drink for your skin” is what sold me. Also, it’s oil-free, other-yucky-stuff-free, and claims is will leave my skin smooth, perfect, and natural. Yes, yes, and yes. Please!

I tried it the day it arrived. Like many of the reviews said, it goes on kind of chalky and gray. You look like you’ve seen a ghost. I think I actually I saw a ghost one time, but I have no idea what color my face was, so I can’t really compare. At the time, I was too freaked out by, you know, THE GHOST. I really try not to think about it all, ever, though, so LALALALALALA!

After a few minutes, the cream somehow turns the exact color of your skin. Granted, I’m on the light end of the scale. I’m not sure how it would work on darker skin, but it seems like it just disappears? It doesn’t really disappear though! It’s just hiding! It’s still there, stealthily making your skin look smoother, brighter, and with smaller pores. The finish is dewy, so it’s a nice, fresh, “no makeup” look for summer. It lasts a surprisingly long time. I’ve been checking in on it here and there to see how it holds up throughout each day. I would say it’s good for at least 8-10 hours of wear, depending on what you’ve been up to. After that, you might look more ACTUAL natural as opposed to “I’m naturally pretty” natural.

One thing to be aware of: This stuff smoothes you out and hides imperfections, but a huge zit is not really an “imperfection”; it’s a “situation” and you’ll need extra help there. I’d say this is one step lighter than a tinted moisturizer. Though I’m really surprised at how much it’s able to balance things out without really adding any color to your face. It’s like it provides coverage without actually covering. I still don’t know HOW it happens, but I am really happy that it does.

I’ve been using my sample of beauty balm for the past two weeks, and I have to say I am IMMMPRESSED! After I get out of the shower, I don’t need to use moisturizer or anything. I just apply the beauty balm, put on my mascara while the cream adjusts to my face, blend in a few dabs of Tarte Cheek Stain, then some Sephora Lip Stain, and I am set! It takes like 3 minutes!!!

If you wanted a less-dewy or more “finished” finish, you could dust on a little powder, but since it’s summer, the lighter and fresher the better for me. You could also use this as a primer and then just add a little foundation or concealer where you need it. They say this “minimizes the need for foundation or concealer.” I’m not sure if they mean immediately or over time, but since it's a makeup and a treatment, they probably mean both. YAY Cosmeceuticals!

I wish I would have found this earlier in the summer, and I wish I could have told you about it sooner. My sample is getting dangerously low. I just ordered my first full-size tube, but I’m still kind of worried my sample is going to run out before my order arrives. I'm really into this stuff.

If you don’t want to place an order to get a free sample from Sephora.com remember you can always go to a Sephora store and ask them to make you a sample to take home. (It’s really best to start with clean skin to try it out.) There are also a lot of other brands out there and other places to buy them. I didn’t see any on the Ulta website, but Amazon has a ton of options… possibly too many options. No matter how you get it, this stuff is definitely worth a try. I think it's one of the BBest things I've found all summer!

4 comments:

  1. Just bought the new Sephora Favorites Sun Safety Kit and am seriously so excited to try the BB cream! It comes with the "Premium" rather than the one you have; can't wait to see what I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I'm so behind!!! I wanted to write about the Sun Safety Kit TODAY, but have been too busy! I'm definitely interested in hearing your thoughts on it!

      Delete
    2. So far my thoughts are just, *squee!!*. I haven't really played around with it yet, just took all the little bottles out. I'm most excited about the Vitazing (Not a new product, but I <3 it and that amount alone is worth about $10), the St. Tropez gradual tan thing (pretty good size; full size is only about 3x as big!) and the BB cream, but I've also been looking for a good spf and there are a ton to try, and I like the Sugar lip balm and I've never actually tried mineral veil...damn, I'm re-remembering how good it is!

      Delete
    3. Wow, it really does seem like a fantastic value. I think the mineral veil will be great for the "how-do-i-reapply-sunscreen-when-i-already-have-makeup-on problem".

      I just read about the Vitazing and now I want to try it too!

      Delete