January 12, 2012

A Nest For Birds, There Ain't No Words...


I recently cut about 7” off my hair due to boredom/laziness/new-year-new-you-fanaticism. I was also suspicious that my long straight hair was visually “pulling down my face.” I really like having it shorter, but at the same time, I haven’t exactly figured out how to manage my new ‘do yet.

For the last couple of years, I’ve been wearing my hair very long and pin-straight, with heavy bangs. Or, very occasionally, with loose curls. It was about as pretty as it was labor-intensive. Anyway, now it’s barely shoulder-length, and curly/wavy (my natural texture), with heavy bangs. Aside from wanting to try something new, the point was to work with my natural texture so I wouldn’t have to spend as much time with the blowdryer and flat-iron.

But is seems my natural texture has changed. I used to wear my hair mid-length and wavy a few years ago, and it was SO EASY. I could let it air-dry and it would just be awesome without any work. That’s what I was going for with the new cut. “I would like one awesome hairdo with very little effort, please!” But it seems like my hair has somehow picked up a lot more curl since then, and with it, FRIZZ.

My hairdresser handled this by loading my hair with sea salt spray, which I'm pretty sure is her favorite product ever. And that makes my hair look cool, and smell cool, but FEEL WEIRD. I'm looking for soft and shiny along with frizz-free.

Then I remembered that I used to use an arsenal of products on my hair before it magically dried into shiny waves. I don’t remember exactly what I used though, so now I am in search of a new lineup, starting with the stuff in my medicine cabinet.

But, after two weeks of experimentation, I still haven’t gotten it worked out yet. It’s been frustrating at times. Last weekend, I was trying to get ready for a party and couldn’t deal, so I just flat-ironed it. It looked good, but I’m trying to do something DIFFERENT. (And easy. And also, don’t forget, awesome.)

I’m not willing to do it the celebrity way by blow drying and then putting waves in with a curling iron. Unless it’s a really special occasion. Heat tools are great for smoothing, but… ugh. I just want to not have to use them all the time.

Anyway, if I figure out how to get soft, shiny waves with no frizz, I’ll let you know. So many of these products make my hair either crunchy or weirdly tacky (in the texture way, not the bad-style way.) There are so many types of serums, and creams, and gels and sprays. And the combinations are endless. I'm not even sure I have the right ones yet, so let me know if you use something you love. I think I’m getting close to figuring it out though. New blog post: I’m working on it!

3 comments:

  1. If it helps any, I have very long, loose, angelic curls when my hair's long. (When it's short, like now, it stands straight up on end and I look like Heat Miser's cracked-out cousin. But anyway.) I found the best thing to do, short of getting a Ouidad cut (pricey! Hard to find!) was to use any old shampoo on the hurr and *always* use Biolage Ultra-Hydrante conditioner.

    You could go the Ouidad way and use their. . .oh, crap, it's this mega-slippery, weird-feeling gel stuff, but thinner? and set your hair atop a diffuser, section by section, with the dryer set on low. Go over the curls that result with their Shine Glaze or a light oil spray and it's not crunchy, not frizzy, and all ringlet-y. But labor-intensive as hell.

    For me, though, the key was conditioner: a good one, and lots of it.

    *Ooo! It's Ouidad Climate Control, and you can get it at Sephora IIRC.

    Word Verification: "aviests": are those people who don't believe in the birds nesting in your hair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really curly hair. Not tight curls, but ringlets can form if I'm not careful. I went short for the first time in YEARS this summer, also because I was tired of wrangling it. And it's been great! But I did have to change up my products, and after many months of experimenting, I have found a great combo. I have hair that tends to be dry and frizzy. My curls are not waves, they're curls...but not tight curls. Oh, and just for fun it's basically straight under neath. Also, I shower every morning, but only wash it one to two times per week. Sometimes I use conditioner only, sometimes nothing in the shower on no wash days. It's so fluffy and frizzy when I wash it, that I basically wait until I have build up of products. Also, everything sulfate free, obvs. ANYWAY, what I love for post shower products are argan or Moroccan oil soon out of shower, and then after makeup application, when it's drier but still damp, the bumble and bumble curl conscious product. I've also had success with bed head "curls rock." I don't know if these will work for you, but they work for me. Also, my hair is on the coarse side, and I have a lot of it, though mts very thinned out to be more manageable. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies! I went to a family party today and I looked like a cocker spaniel. I know it's bad because my husband said "I'm not sure if that's the right haircut for you." (Great!) I really need to get a handle on this soon, I mean, it's ON MY HEAD.

    I just got another recommendation for Moroccan oil today, from my sister in law, and one via Facebook, so maybe I'll try that with the Biolage conditioner to start.

    Jo, I hope you get your angelic curls back soon!

    ReplyDelete