April 13, 2011

Zits & Wrinkles: The Best of Both Worlds


A few weeks ago, I wrote about the Dr. Dennis Gross Alph Beta Daily Face Peel, which works great, until you stop using it. I found it too expensive for long-term use, so I decided I would follow up my treatment with Murad Live Clear Acne Complex Starter Kit for maintenance.

The kit comes with small bottles of cleanser, toner, exfoliating acne treatment gel, acne spot treatment, and a lotion, to be used in that order. I used all of these products twice a day for a week, and it severely dried out my skin, particularly on my chin. I took a week break from acne products to let my skin get back to normal. (“Normal” is also my skin type. If you have oily skin twice a day treatment may not be a problem for you.) My face stayed reasonably clear during that time, but then I started noticing some blackheads, and I knew it was time to step up my game. After a couple of DIY “extractions” (I know, I KNOW!) I started using the complete system only once a day, and that seems to be working nicely to keep my skin clear without getting too dry.

Eventually, these tiny bottles will be used up, and while I’m happy with the results, I don’t think I’m going to buy the full size of every product. It’s a LOT of products, and I don’t really need 5 acne treatments every day.

I think I’ll pass on the cleanser and toner, unless doing so makes the zits come back. The tiny tube of spot treatment will probably last me awhile (I hope) so I won’t need to buy that again, at least not anytime soon. This wasn’t included in the kit, but I got a sample of the Murad Clarifying Mask, also part of their acne treatment line, from Sephora. I didn’t really feel like it did anything. It made my face kind of soft, but did nothing for my pores, so I won’t be buying that either.

I will probably buy the Skin Perfecting Lotion again for night, but for daytime I have already bought an additional Murad moisturizer, which may be one of the hardest working moisturizers on the market: Anti-Aging Moisturizer SPF 20. It’s anti-aging, anti-acne, and a sunscreen. Basically, everything I need in one little tube. Score!

I also found an anti-aging acne treatment gel, called Acne & Wrinkle Reducer, which: Sign me up! I am going to use that in place of the regular treatment gel, because why just fight acne when you can fight wrinkles too? I’ve been looking for products to help prevent both, so I’m really happy with this and the moisturizer.

The kit is a great way to try out the products to see which ones you need and what works for you. Unfortunately, the Acne & Wrinkle combo products aren’t available in trial sizes, but you can always get a sample to take home if you’re near a Sephora. Not sure if Ulta is generous with samples too?

In any case, this stuff works, and I’m happy to finally be zit freeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment